Skip to main content
Answered

One Sonos Play:1 unit can no longer play anything

I have a system with two Sonos Play:1 units and one Sonos Connect:Amp.

Today i cannot play any music services on one of the play:1 units, but it works on the other units,

I used to have a sonos playbar installed too, but it was disconnected a month ago, and I would not think that this has anything to do with this issue because it worked until today.

I have made a power cycle on all three units and it makes no difference.

I can access the play unit from a web browse and have taken a screen copy of the matrix on the unit with problems (badeværelse) and from one of the other units, so why will it  no longer stream anything on this single unit ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Hi. The matrix is the same whichever speaker's IP address is used.

Also, the matrix is of very limited value on a WiFi setup.

However, what it does show is that you have very bad wireless interference. Try changing your router's wireless channel. Any idea what might be causing this interference? Baby monitors? Smart lighting system?

I don't have any baby monitors or smart lightning systems and cannot think of any other rf sources which could cause this. When I look at Wi-Fi analyser on my mobile phone I see my three access points nicely separated and no other wifi nets are interfeering. What other information should I provide to indicate what causes the problem on this single device ?

Three accesa points? Try putting them on the same channel and rerun the matrix. Try changing that channel if there is no improvement. 

Are they set in bridge mode?

Note also that WiFi analysers don't show the full wireless environment. Almost any piece of electrical equipment could create interference.

I should have said to make sure that AP channel width is set to 20MHz.

It will be a couple of days before I will be able to change the setttings on my Access points, but they are using 20Mhz bandwidth and they are using same SSID.

I have now moved the problematic access point to a different location and attached the updated network matrix.

And then I plugged in a network cable on the problematic unit, and it stilll dont work.

So I think the issue is not related to my wiifi quality.

Now that the unit is on cable, and I still get an error when trying to selects same music service as on one of the other units I discovered that if I take the music on playing on one of the other units and selects it to be played in multiple units then it infact can play on the unit which cannot play the music seperately.

I would perhaps try and see what happens when you just use the main router/WiFi and just temporarily switch off all the other access points - Maybe bring the speakers closer to the router, if that is necessary, or better still, cable any stand-alone Sonos device to the router (if practicable) and see if it works better after that. I suspect the access points operating on different channels are the source of interference.

Try to pick and use just one non-overlapping WiFi channel only for your network, such as channel 1, 6 or 11 (whichever is being least-used as shown by the WiFi scanner) and set/ensure the channel-width is 20MHz only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Now that the unit is on cable, and I still get an error when trying to selects same music service as on one of the other units I discovered that if I take the music on playing on one of the other units and selects it to be played in multiple units then it infact can play on the unit which cannot play the music seperately.

I suggest generating a diagnostics report and contacting Sonos support, to see if that throws up any clues. More info here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

I have now submitted diagnostic to Sonos, and what then to do ?

Dit bekræftelsesnummer er: 1172929922.

You can wait until the Sonos forum moderators get a chance to look at it, depending on their other duties, or you could call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, and give them that diagnostic number.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

It may be useful to read the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, too. 

I believe the issue is solved, I found out this morning that a software upddate of my router had caused the failback between a fiber internet and a copper internet connection was malfunctioning. After closing the copper internet connection the sonos unit started working again. I have no idea why the sonos unit failed while the other two still worked, but they all work now again.