Answered

No audio output when adding a room to a group

• 16 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Good evening all,

I'm literally at my wits end with my Sonos setup now, we have just upgraded our WiFi router which caused huge issues with out sonos setup. Thankfully this afternoon I have managed to get everything working as it was prior to the router change. 

However my wife had just tried to play music in two room. She simply tried to add the Move into the main livingroom group so that the same music was playing throughout just as she has done 100s of times.

The app shows the action was completed successfully and that the audio output is playing in both zones however its not. The music will play on whichever device you have as a primary source but the group being added just remains silent. 

We have reset everything but with no luck.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas on what's causing the problem. 

Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by John B 16 December 2022, 17:48

View original

9 replies

Hi. My guess is that you are running a mesh network or wireless extenders and operating in WiFi mode rather then using SonosNet?  Whether that is the case or not, please describe your network setup and Sonos setup.

Good evening John,

No mesh or anything complicated,  just a single powerful Wifi router in the center of the house so that all devices get a strong signal. 

Hi, Do you have a Sonos device wired to your router?  If not, and just as a troubleshooting experiment, are you able to connect one Sonos device to the router by Ethernet and see how the system behaves?

What is the router make and model please?

The router is a TP link ax1500, and everything is connected to the 2.4G network.

I will try connecting the playbar via a cable to see if it makes any difference 

That’s good.  Once you have wired it, give it a couple of minutes then check in About My System that all speakers, apart from any Moves or Roams, have WM=0 next to them.  Moves and Roams will have WM=1.

OK it's hardwired to the router now and I have been through the setup procedure via the app resetting everything as instructed.

After 10 minutes this is what it's telling me:

Move WM:1

Playbar WM:1

Play 1's WM:2

Sub WM:2

OK it's hardwired to the router now and I have been through the setup procedure via the app resetting everything as instructed.

WM:1 is Sonosnet.  WM:2 is the 5GHZ connection between Playbar and Sub/surrounds.  You should be good to go. 

WM:1 is Sonosnet.  WM:2 is the 5GHZ connection between Playbar and Sub/surrounds.  You should be good to go. 

.WM:0 is SonosNet so this setup is not as one would expect with a device wired..

@Bradoshi .  What did you reset?  I never suggested resetting anything.  Factory resets are usually at best useless and at worst counter-productive

@Bradoshi .

Please do the following.

Keep the Playbar wired to the router (make sure it is a LAN port not a WAN port)

Power off your router and all Sonos devices.

Power on the router and let it come up fully

Power on the Playbar and let it come up fully

Power on the rest of your Sonos speakers.

Check the WM thing again.  It should be WM=1 for the Move and WM=0 for all the other speakers.

Please then post back