Skip to main content

I’m hoping to get some help as I’ve exhausted my efforts in trying to resolve this.  I bought a new Sonos Beam Gen2 in July 2024.  

I got it installed and setup but I cannot run TruePlay without getting an error.  When i run trueplay tuning  it gets to the part where it plays the tones and then says something went wrong. We were unable to custom tune etc.
I have tried to run it on my iPhone 15 which is on the same 2.4 wifi network as the Beam.
I have also factory reset the entire system.
I’ve deleted the app and redownloaded it 
And checked system update in the app and on the Beam and both are current.

Note:  I’ve got Verizon 5G Home Internet if that matters.

I know there have been a lot of issues with the new Sonos app.  Perhaps that’s the culprit?  I really don’t know.  I’ve tried everything I can think of but am totally stuck at this point.  Hoping someone can help me get this working.

Do you have a different mobile controller you can borrow/try from a relative or friend etc? I would not rule out a faulty phone mic at this stage.

Make sure the iOS device is not using a beta OS too, such as iOS-18 and definitely remove any case/cover for the tuning process.

Also maybe see what happens when you place the Beam in a different spot - it doesn’t need to be connected to the TV when testing to see if it will TP tune in another location.

If the problem persists then it maybe best to reproduce the issue(s) seen and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

Thanks so much for the detailed response.  Greatly appreciated.   

The iPhone 15 is not on Beta OS and I did remove the case when trying to do TruePlay (e.g., multiple attempts over the past couple of months).  So, I can at least rule these out as the culprit.

I will try to move the Beam to a different location to see if that helps.  I also want to try using another iPhone.  I do have a friend that also has Sonos speakers.  I could try to use their iPhone.  If I borrow their iPhone to use for the test, do they need to log out of their account and into my Sonos account to try the TruePlay?  Just not sure how that works.

Once I rule out these two things, if it still will not run TruePlay, I’ll try to submit a Sonos system diagnostic and contact the Sonos support via the link you sent.  Thanks again for all of the advise!

Make sure there are no other products in the room or near by that produce noise. Kitchen appliances, air condition vent noise, low level hum from other electronics can cause Trueplay to fail. 

Thanks so much for the detailed response.  Greatly appreciated.   

The iPhone 15 is not on Beta OS and I did remove the case when trying to do TruePlay (e.g., multiple attempts over the past couple of months).  So, I can at least rule these out as the culprit.

I will try to move the Beam to a different location to see if that helps.  I also want to try using another iPhone.  I do have a friend that also has Sonos speakers.  I could try to use their iPhone.  If I borrow their iPhone to use for the test, do they need to log out of their account and into my Sonos account to try the TruePlay?  Just not sure how that works.

Once I rule out these two things, if it still will not run TruePlay, I’ll try to submit a Sonos system diagnostic and contact the Sonos support via the link you sent.  Thanks again for all of the advise!

I would borrow the friends iDevice and reset their Sonos App. At your Home login to your WiFi network and then open the App to discover your Sonos system and login etc. when you’ve gone onto try the tuning and have finished with the iDevice, simply logout/reset the Sonos App and forget your own WiFi network in the iDevice settings.

Your friend then just needs to log back onto their WiFi network and open the reset App and connect back to their own Sonos system and sign in.

Hope that assists.

Update:  I submitted a Sonos diagnostic and then contacted Sonos via their 800# support.  I got someone on the phone who tried to help me trouble shoot the issue...all seemingly to no avail.  They even had me try logging into the account with someone else's iPhone which...as we were on the call did not work.  I got to the same error at the same point in the process as when I used my iPhone.  After we hung up, I tried my friends iPhone one more time and it worked.  I was able to complete the TruePlay tuning.  

Not sure why it finally worked...but it did:). That’s all that matters.  Now, I have an Iphone 15 and my friend has an iPhone 15 Pro...both on the latest IOS update.  Very odd that my iPhone 15 does not work with TruePlay but y friends iPhone 15 Pro does.   

All I can figure is that after I hung up with support they must have done something on their end?  I’ve tried to run TruePlay at least 50 times since I bought the Beam Gen 2 in July...each time failing at the same point (e,.g,. right after the initial round of test tone Pings).  Very odd.