Network Swap

Yesterday I swapped Broadband suppliers and now none of my Sonus speakers work. I’ve tried changing the network and they get so far they say no connection to any of the speakers that I try to reset.

I have a 6 Sonos system that is totally scrapped at the moment so hope someone can help me fix it

I’ve tried hardwiring them and no different

Moderator edit: combined two posts

11 replies

Make sure the new router meets the system requirements depending on the type of Sonos system/devices you’re using. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

Here is the Support link that outlines the steps required when changing router. I would leave one (non-reset) standalone Sonos device wired to the new router:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Also ensure your mobile Sonos controller device meets these system requirements to make the necessary changes. The requirements for each type of Sonos system mobile controller is shown here in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Hope that information assists to get your Sonos system back up and running on your new router.

Make sure the new router meets the system requirements depending on the type of Sonos system/devices you’re using. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

Here is the Support link that outlines the steps required when changing router. I would leave one (non-reset) standalone Sonos device wired to the new router:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Also ensure your mobile Sonos controller device meets these system requirements to make the necessary changes. The requirements for each type of Sonos system mobile controller is shown here in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Hope that information assists to get your Sonos system back up and running on your new router.

Hi Ken,
Not much help to be honest. I have a Pixel 7 running S2 Sonos app, connected to Google Wifi meshed network.

As I can’t connect to any of the devices to change the network, I’m stuck. The device that I factory reset won’t pick up as I can’t access the system until I’ve changed the network. All very frustrating.

You should not use a ‘factory reset’ Sonos device to get your existing system back up and running please read my post carefully - use a non-reset device, otherwise you may end up wiping your entire setup especially when trying to use all on a SonosNet connection. - Please read the notes and Sonos support documents carefully do not use a factory reset device (important). Note too with Google Nest WiFi the router needs to be ‘bridged’. The Nest devices themselves cannot be used in ‘bridged’ AP mode when using more than one Hub.

You may also find this thread from Sonos Staff a helpful read too…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

In simple terms - with the ‘old’ router in ‘bridged’ mode, wire a (non-reset) single standalone Sonos device to the primary Google nest hub/router. Power it on.

Connect your compatible mobile controller device to the Google Nest WiFi (your original bridged router should have its own WiFi adapters disabled) .. open the Sonos App to see your wired non-reset (wired) Sonos speaker.

Now power on all your other (non-reset) speakers and they will appear in the Sonos App too.

Any ‘factory reset’ speakers next need to be setup on your existing system using the ‘Add Product’ option in the Sonos App.

Then when all devices are configured and showing in the Sonos App, if you want to run all in your Nest WiFi (not recommended) then simply  follow the steps to add your WiFi network to all the Sonos devices as outlined in the second link I posted earlier.. although personally speaking, as you appear to have no portable Sonos devices listed in your profile, I would actually remove all previous WiFi credentials and opt instead to continue to run all in wired SonosNet mode… as that is the recommended setup by Staff.

It will also greatly help to do these few things…

1. Set the SonosNet channel to one that is not in use by your Google Nest Hubs
  2. Set the wired Sonos device well away from the router and Nest Hubs - I recommend it be placed at least one metre away
  3. Reserve all your Sonos IP addresses (make them static) in the Google DHCP reservation table on the Nest primary hub.

Hope that assists. 👍

While you work through this, temporarily power down any units that have already been Factory Reset. Don’t Factory Reset any additional units.

In simple terms - with the ‘old’ router in ‘bridged’ mode, wire a (non-reset) single standalone Sonos device to the primary Google nest hub/router. Power it on.

Connect your compatible mobile controller device to the Google Nest WiFi (your original bridged router should have its own WiFi adapters disabled) .. open the Sonos App to see your wired non-reset (wired) Sonos speaker.

Now power on all your other (non-reset) speakers and they will appear in the Sonos App too.

Any ‘factory reset’ speakers next need to be setup on your existing system using the ‘Add Product’ option in the Sonos App.

Then when all devices are configured and showing in the Sonos App, if you want to run all in your Nest WiFi (not recommended) then simply  follow the steps to add your WiFi network to all the Sonos devices as outlined in the second link I posted earlier.. although personally speaking, as you appear to have no portable Sonos devices listed in your profile, I would actually remove all previous WiFi credentials and opt instead to continue to run all in wired SonosNet mode… as that is the recommended setup by Staff.

It will also greatly help to do these few things…

1. Set the SonosNet channel to one that is not in use by your Google Nest Hubs
  2. Set the wired Sonos device well away from the router and Nest Hubs - I recommend it be placed at least one metre away
  3. Reserve all your Sonos IP addresses (make them static) in the Google DHCP reservation table on the Nest primary hub.

Hope that assists. 👍

Hi,

Sorry I should have been clear in that the devices appear in the controller app and let me start to fix the network, they connect and then say using a temp network and then try to connect again but always fail. 

Grae

Hi,

Sorry I should have been clear in that the devices appear in the controller app and let me start to fix the network, they connect and then say using a temp network and then try to connect again but always fail. 

Grae

In that case, I would definitely re-read the Staff FAQ thread. This one…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

…as it strongly recommends using Sonos in (wired) SonosNet mode. I would recommend that too with a Google Nest WiFi mesh setup, particularly as you have no Sonos portable products in your setup - which means removing the WiFi credentials altogether from the Sonos App and running the setup with one Sonos device only wired to the Google primary Hub… if you want all on your WiFi (not personally recommended), then I would ‘temporarily’ switch off your Nest satellite Hubs and ensure all Sonos products are in a position to connect to the primary Nest Hub WiFi and then add the credentials by following the instructions for a wired setup, as mentioned in this support document (as posted earlier)…

edit: obviously don’t forget to reinstate the Nest satellite hubs when the WiFi switchover has completed and remove your old WiFi credentials from the Sonos App too.

Hi,

Grae

In that case, I would definitely re-read the Staff FAQ thread. This one…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

…as it strongly recommends using Sonos in (wired) SonosNet mode. I would recommend that too with a Google Nest WiFi mesh setup, particularly as you have no Sonos portable products in your setup - which means removing the WiFi credentials altogether from the Sonos App and running the setup with one Sonos device only wired to the Google primary Hub… if you want all on your WiFi (not personally recommended), then I would temporarily switch off your Nest satellite Hubs and ensure all Sonos products are in a position to connect to the primary Nest Hub WiFi and then add the credentials by following the instructions for a wired setup, as mentioned in this support document (as posted earlier)…

Hi, I’ve tried all of that and still no luck when trying to change the network. I think that I may have to accept that it won’t work and sell them all 🤔

Hi, I’ve tried all of that and still no luck when trying to change the network. I think that I may have to accept that it won’t work and sell them all 🤔

I’m just another user like yourself and that’s entirely your prerogative. However, I’ve managed to add a variety of WiFi networks to my own S2 setup, as shown in the attached screenshot. I have multiple wireless networks (shown), as I use some Sonos devices at multiple locations and when travelling around the UK. 

Maybe try power-cycling both your router and Sonos products and the mobile controller device too.. if you can’t resolve the matter after that then It maybe best to submit a system diagnostic and either note/post it’s reference back here and to then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the issue.

I’ve cracked it 😀.

I used my Amazon Fire and put the app on that. It let me change the network on 2 devices so far and they work as before. 4 more to do then I’m sorted 😂

What’s up with the app on the Pixel 7 god knows 

I’ve cracked it 😀.

I used my Amazon Fire and put the app on that. It let me change the network on 2 devices so far and they work as before. 4 more to do then I’m sorted 😂

What’s up with the app on the Pixel 7 god knows 

Maybe try a power-cycle of that mobile controller device and make sure there’s no security software or permission-settings getting in the way of things, (vpn/firewall/antivirus/WiFi calling/MAC spoofing etc.)