Answered

Need to replace S1 by a wifi speaker for network entry point

• 29 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

Due to an optical fiber installation in my home, I have to move my ethernet router box close the fiber entry point.

I couldn’t anymore connect my SONOS accoustic speaker with a wire connection to build my network (1x S1, 1xS3 and 2 S5) .

What speaker can I use to replace my actual S1 entry point for a wifi connection in place of wire connection on my router box.

Thanks for your answer.

Claude

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 29 January 2024, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

S1, S3, and S5 are not the name of actual Sonos devices.  Not exactly sure what devices you’re referring to.  S1 and S2 are the older, and current Sonos operating systems.

I would look to setup your speakers to work off of your WiFi network directly, rather than through a wired device and sonosnet.  This is a common setup and how most of Sonos current speakers operate.  If that’s not feasible, then perhaps a used Sonos One would be the best choice.  You could get a Sonos amp or port to create the sonosnet connection (if you are on S2), but that would be significantly more expensive.

Badge +2

Thanks Danny,

Exact names are PLAY:1, PLAY:3 and PLAY:5, not S1,S3,S5.

I’m going to move my old PLAY:1 in a other room and buy a Sonos One to connect my router box to wifi.

Is that fair ?

Claude

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That would work.

You could also just hook your Sonos to your WiFi and skip the wire.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup