my Sonos Ray and my Sony TV KD-43X80J will not connect.

Hi, I have become really exasperated with trying to connect my new Ray to a Sony TV. In regards to this problem, I have tried everything. Resetting both, disconnecting, a new optical cable, I am now at my wits end! Both live in my holiday home.

However, my Ray will play Spotify with no problem and very good it is too! Almost as good as my Move….

Can someone help? TV model is in the title. The Ray was purchased as the TV speakers are not the best….

My Sonos playbar I have at home is brilliant. 

regards,

Chris Berrisford

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure you have removed the caps on both ends of the optical cable and the cable has been fully inserted into the optical ports on the TV and sound bar. Also be sure to enable TV Autoplay in the Sonos app under the Ray’s settings.

In the TV settings, set Speakers to Audio System and Audio System Prioritization to On.

Thanks for your help, GS. There were no caps on the optical cable, a secure fit in the socket at both ends.

I enabled TV auto play in the Sonos app.

In the tv settings, speakers were already on audio system but with no sound, but I couldn’t find Audio System Prioritisation in the tv settings.

I am getting some sound out of the Ray with the new settings but need to turn it up fully to be of any use.

My tv handset will not control the volume on the Ray, I need to do it manually. There seems to be no compatibility between them?

The situation is not good between the Sony tv and my Ray!

thanks to you for giving me your time.

Regards, Chris Berrisford, UK.

Plug one end of the optical into the TV and turn the TV on.  Switch the audio to the optical output and look at the unconnected end of the optical cable.  If you can't see light coming out, it's got caps on it.  The caps are often small, and only cover the very end.  If you are using a brand new cable and never took them off, the caps are there.  They don't sell them without caps.

Well, I must say (admit) that I can’t pull the optical plug out of the Sony tv….

I'm thinking I’ve maybe plugged it in with a cap on? That would explain perhaps the lower volume when I used GS’s suggestions as to Sony setup.

if I can remove it I will let you know….

Removed. Can’t see a cap. Sonos Ray still not working. 
unless it’s playing Spotify tracks….🤔👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The cap might be inside the TV connection?

Hi 106rallye , I thought about this, but if there was a cap inside, how would I remove it? 
I’m just wondering about the practicality of checking and if there was, removal?

Unwired everything and had a careful look inside the optical sockets with a bright torch. No sign of any caps. 
The Sonos Ray is now working with the included optical cable but volume is not good with the TV on. Excellent when I am playing Spotify through it! The sound produced is full and as loud as I need.

I’m lost for any other ideas to get acceptable volume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Do you have a set top box as well as the tv? If so, check the volume on the stb is turned up. 

Thank you for your reply. No I don’t have a set top box. 
just the Sony TV and my Sonos Ray.