Answered

Music dropping on left speaker of a stereo pair - Play 3s

• 8 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have an ongoing issue I'm hoping to get help on. 

I have a pair of Play 3s in my upstairs office set up as a stereo pair. They tend to work fine for an hour or so and then by midday one (always the left) drops out. Sometime momentarily and sometimes until I turn them off at the plug. I have tried swapping the left and right speaker and its always the left one that drops, ruling out a hardware issue. 

I have a Tp-link Deco mesh system with a close by access point. I generally have very fast wifi and good coverage. I cannot select the wifi channel, the Deco automatically detects the best channel. There are no issues in other rooms of the house which have a mixture of Play 1s, Move 1 and a roam. I have tried wiring a speaker to use Sonosnet but that doesn't appear to fix the problem and seems to make the rest of the system less stable. 

Diagnostics number with the issue occurring- 7753775

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jbeechey 9 November 2023, 12:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Seconded.

I am suffering from a similar issue. However, the left play:3 (also always the left speaker that drops), is hardwired via Ethernet to a network switch. The second play:3 (right) continues to play even though it is connected to the Sonos wireless network provided by the left (hardwired) speaker. 

Therefore it's not a network issue as they'd both cut out if that were the case, as the right speaker's connectivity is based on the left having connection. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Worth trying setting static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos, using your router’s DHCP settings page. Set them, power down Sonos, reboot router, power up Sonos.

If it doesn’t work at least you have taken that possibility off the table and it only takes a couple minutes to do.

It is curious that we have two recent identical issues. Submit a diagnostic, log the confirmation number, and contact SONOS support. As a datapoint, unpair the speakers and exchange left and right as you re-pair.

UPDATE: I have had a chat with the helpful Sonos support and changed a few things. They were not able to point to a specific issue but it does seem to be network issue. I am now running it on Sonosnet again to see if that solves it. Other things suggested were to disable QoS and increase the  dhcp lease time which I will try and report back.