Multiple Sonos ERA 300's creates issue when one pair is used as surrounds w/ARC.

• 19 March 2024
  • 3 replies

The issue: If you use a pair 300's as surrounds with your ARC in my case, you will not be able to use a second pair as a stereo/atmos pair in a different room with the new update. (worked before). You will start to get 'cannot connect' errors when selecting and deselecting speakers for whole house playback. You notice audio cutouts in the rears with your ARC and music. You may lose your subs even though they are connected in the app. No atmos in rooms with arc + 300 rears in one room and 300 pair in another room when both are selected.

I factory reset all my speakers, rebooted my firewall, modem and Access Point, Same problems,

I put the media room all on ethernet except of course the 300's, Same problems.

Level 1 Support

Sonos support level 1 tried but ultimally ssful ok'ed me to go to level 2

Level 2 Support:

I decided not to call and do more testing

My Testing:

I factory reset all my speakers, rebooted my firewall, modem and Access Point, Same problems,

I put the media room all on ethernet except of course the 300's, Same problems.

The fix:

I removed the 300's from being rears, added back my old sonos ones.

I moved the 300's to the front of the media room for music only in a stereo /atmos pair. (sound great, with no sub) created a new room just for them

So two pairs of 300's set in 2 pairs in 2 different rooms. 1 mini-sub in the living room.

Atmos now works on both 300 pairs and the arc simultaneously.

My System

ARC, 2 Subs Gen 3's and 2 ones as rears

four 300’s in two rooms as pairs.

RAY and 2 ones as rears

Move, Roam and Port

My Thoughts:

I don’t think their testing of how the software handles the situation of when a customer uses 300’s as rears with a soundbar and wants to use a second pair in another room was done as well as it should have been as the system was working correctly before the latest app update. 

I wish they gave you a way to rollback an update, this way I could know for sure.

My hope:

With this post, is that support log it as an issue for inclusion in the next update.

My take:

The 300's are far superior to the ARC for music, you might be wasting them using them as rears.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: „If you use a pair 300's as surrounds with your ARC in my case, you will not be able to use a second pair as a stereo/atmos pair in a different room“. Not sure what you are trying to do here. Are you grouping the speakers in the other room? Is it not possible to get Atmos in the Era 300 room, or does it just not work very well?

Strange, I’m not seeing this issue. I have Sonos Arc, Era 300s and Sub in ‘Living room’ and a stereo pair of Era 300s in the Kitchen (the pair are called ‘Polo’) and the rooms group and play fine with both TV and Music audio. I can go onto add other rooms to this group too. I’m not seeing any audio dropouts from any speakers?

Might you have a problem with the network? Have you perhaps tried increasing the ‘Group Audio Delay’ buffer? and/or reducing interference by setting a non-overlapping WiFi channel or setting the 2.4Ghz band channel-width to 20Mhz only. Perhaps see this document too…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

Userlevel 7

Hi

Yes, your issue is strange. I have two sets of Era 300’s used as surrounds with Arc and sub. I have another set of Era 300’s as a stereo pair in the same space with one of the Arc and 300’s as surrounds mentioned;  but under a different room name. I have no conflict with any setup.

IMO…there is something odd in the way your system is setup. I can’t fathom a network causing the issue you describe other than speakers dropping off.