Skip to main content
Question

Moving from SonosNet to WiFi

• 21 June 2024
  • 8 replies

After increasing connectivity issues between the app and speakers, I was going to try and switch from SonosNet to WiFi.  However, whilst the online help suggests this is easy to do (go into the app and Update Network), once in the app, looking at the “more information” sections suggests that this can only be done for newer products. I have a number of Play:1 and Play:3 speakers and the information says these need to be factory reset.

Questions:

1. Is this true?  Can I only update the newer products automatically?
  2. If I do have to factory reset the older products, will playlists etc. have been retained on the newer speakers and get copied across, or is there a risk I will lose my playlists and settings.

Any help on this appreciated.

8 replies

1. Yes this is true unfortunately. 

2. Playlists and settings should be retained as long as you don’t factory reset the newer speakers. 

Owners are having issues adding products to their systems with the new app. Some bugs have been fixed but still new posts about this.  IMO if you can wait to do this until the app is more stable I would.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was thinking the same about the app, so good advice!

Managing player updates. You must also disable automatic controller App updates on your pad/phone.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@buzz - why would I need to disable updates of the app to do this?

Disabling automatic updates gives you more control. Overall the Apps have been improving, but there can be unintended consequences that impact a few users. I think that holding back for a few hours or a day or two is prudent. You can check the Community to see if something critical for you has been fixed or broken before updating.

There are phone/pad settings that control automatic installation of controller App updates from the App Store. This is separate from the option in the SONOS controller App that updates the SONOS firmware. Controller and firmware updates are separate processes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Unless I went back to the previous major version, I think keeping the current version up to date is probably best given the absolute mess the initial release was.

@Bumper - in my set up, I have a Play:3 wired in, then the remainder are connected via SonosNet.  If I were to switch to WiFi, would the Sonos Ones switch via the app and the Play:3 and Play:1 speakers then be disconnected until each were reset then set up for WiFi?  I very keen not to lose the playlists etc., I wouldn’t be very popular in the house!

Unless I went back to the previous major version, I think keeping the current version up to date is probably best given the absolute mess the initial release was.

@Bumper - in my set up, I have a Play:3 wired in, then the remainder are connected via SonosNet.  If I were to switch to WiFi, would the Sonos Ones switch via the app and the Play:3 and Play:1 speakers then be disconnected until each were reset then set up for WiFi?  I very keen not to lose the playlists etc., I wouldn’t be very popular in the house!

You are correct. You should be able to switch to One to wifi in the app. You can then unplug the wired speaker to make sure the One works by wifi, then switch your other speakers over one by one. But If you turn off the wifi in the app on the wired speaker it should continue to work wired with no need to reset and connect to wifi.

Just keep in mind that making a change to your system may expose you to an issue with the app that may cause unintended consequences  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks @Bumper . I’m going to hold off for now, just wanted to get it straight what I needed to do.

Many thanks!