Answered

Mismatch room name between Sonos app and Apple Home

• 19 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello!

I don’t understand why Sonos Arc and the two Era 300 (which I decided, for now, intentionally not to pair as a surround) which are located under the same Apple Home app room called ‘Living room’, appear on the Sonos app as being placed in two different rooms called each ‘Era 300’ (the name I gave to each speaker via the Home app). I basically want all the products to appear under the same room (Living Room) on the Sonos app.
Does anyone know how to fix this naming issue? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 July 2023, 19:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The display looks correct to me in the images shown - Anyhow, I would not give them all the same room name ‘Living Room’ if you are not ‘bonding’ them into a Home Theatre setup, because if they all have the same name, Siri would not know which device you were referring to when starting playback using voice control. You can rename any of your devices of course, but make any name-changes in the iOS Home App and not the Sonos App now that you have registered them as ‘accessories’ in your iOS Home.

ok, thanks for the tip! So you are saying that what I am trying to do is not achievable. See the image below on what I basically would like it to look like:

Userlevel 7

Hmm … other than the Arc. Typically speakers with same name will automatically be subjugated by the Sonos app as Living Room and then Living Room 2 or something to that effect. 

@zirosky,

You can name the rooms the same, but it’s not advisable - as it may confuse other Apps/Services. I would give each Sonos room a different name, even if they are in the same physical room. Examples:

1. Living Room 
  2. Living Room 1
  3. Living Room 2

1. Living Room TV
  2. Living Room Fireplace
  3. Living Room Window

1. Living Room
  2. Era Left
  3. Era Right

… or anything you prefer to make the devices uniquely identifiable.

(Note: If you do ever choose to ‘bond’ (not pair) the Era 300’s to your Arc, then they all become one Sonos room only, called ‘Living Room’… and in that instance you will need to also remove the Era’s from the Home App).

Thank you guys, all very clear. I just find it a bit weird the way this works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In the Sonos system each speaker or stereo or surround set of speakers is a “room”. Two Era 300’s can form a room if you pair them as a stereo set. I suppose the concept of a room in Apple home is different. My experience is with Google Home and with Google you can put anything in a room. It resembles a physical room more than the Sonos room concept.

In the Sonos system each speaker or stereo or surround set of speakers is a “room”. Two Era 300’s can form a room if you pair them as a stereo set. I suppose the concept of a room in Apple home is different. My experience is with Google Home and with Google you can put anything in a room. It resembles a physical room more than the Sonos room concept.

exactly, my personal opinion is that they should use another name to define a ‘room’

exactly, my personal opinion is that they should use another name to define a ‘room’

You can always use Sonos Groups as your ‘rooms’ I guess🤔 - I personally tend to use their groups though as ‘Ground Floor’, ‘First Floor’, Basement, Outside etc. It’s really just a case though of keeping things uniquely named.

You can always use Sonos Groups as your ‘rooms’ I guess🤔 - I personally tend to use their groups though as ‘Ground Floor’, ‘First Floor’, Basement, Outside etc. It’s really just a case though of keeping things uniquely named.

good point!