Answered

Macbook Air M1 unable to set output to Sonos One S2

• 12 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I just received a Sonos One (S2) that I’m having issue’s connecting my Macbook M1 via airplay. Every time I try and set the Sonos device as the Output it prompts me with “Could not connect to “device name”. 

I am however able to get music to play through it when I open up Spotify on my Macbook but I can't set the device as the output when I want to watch something on a browser. 

Both devices are on the same wifi network, i’ve power cycled and ran through the setup on the Sonos twice and  updated the software on my Macbook to the latest but still no luck, please advise. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 October 2023, 11:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jtreez 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When you use Spotify on your Macbook and are able to play, are you still using AirPlay, or are you using Spotify’s Connect feature? If the former, then it seems AirPlay is working fine as far as the speaker is concerned and you should contact Apple for help. Please note that if you initiate an AirPlay connection from your Macbook’s settings, you will be using AirPlay v1 which is not officially supported - better results will be gained if you initial AirPlay from within the app/webpage you are wanting sound from, which will utilise AirPlay v2. More info can be found on our Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos help page.

If, however, Spotify is not connecting via AirPlay, then I would have to ask if you have HomeKit installed and if you have added your Sonos One to it? If so, I can only recommend you factory reset your Sonos One (and the phone app - Settings » App Preferences » Reset App » Reset) and set it up as if new, but this time do not add it to HomeKit afterwards. Please note that this procedure will erase all services, settings and playlists/favourites you’ve made within the Sonos app.

If you don’t have HomeKit, or haven’t added your Sonos One to it, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

That wasn’t the case in this instance. I troubleshot with tech service and they issued me an RMA. The replacement connected perfectly out the box. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jtreez 

Thanks for updating the thread - I’m glad to hear you got things sorted.