Low volume on line into Era 100

• 3 February 2024
  • 5 replies

I’m using an android phone connected line in on my Era 100 and the volume is very low. I have it set to 10 (max) on the line in settings, which is only slightly better than the lowest settings. I’ve tried different cables between the Sonos line in adapter and the highly rated USB C-to-3.5mm DAC adapter plugged into my phone with the same results. The volume at 100 sounds like 20 over wifi. Any help would be most appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Is this USB-C output from the phone affected by the volume controls on the phone? Are there any volume controls on this ‘highly rated’ DAC? Sonos is expecting a standard line level input. 

The volume controls on the phone do raise and lower the volume of the Sonos system. There are no controls on the DAC.

So, increase the volume of the output of the Android phone to match your expectations, and increase the volume being sent to the DAC.

I do have to say, this is a very uncommon setup. Sonos uses libraries on hard drives or NAS’. It’s no longer supposed to be able to play music stored on mobile devices, except via Bluetooth or AirPlay 2, per both Google’s and Apple’s instructions. 

The volume controls on the phone do raise and lower the volume of the Sonos system. There are no controls on the DAC.

Maybe try a different audio source going to the line-in audio adapter and see how that compares. The Era line-in, with a Bluetooth Receiver attached, is really loud here. I've actually got the line-in "source level" set to only level 2 A/V component and have limited the volume output level on the room to no more than 80%. - So I suspect there’s an issue somewhere in the mix, but maybe start/try things with a different audio source. (I see you’ve changed the cables already).

Maybe try a different audio source going to the line-in audio adapter and see how that compares. The Era line-in, with a Bluetooth Receiver attached, is really loud here. I've actually got the line-in "source level" set to only level 2 A/V component and have limited the volume output level on the room to no more than 80%. - So I suspect there’s an issue somewhere in the mix, but maybe start/try things with a different audio source. (I see you’ve changed the cables already).

Thanks. I’ll try a bluetooth receiver.