Answered

Lost all Sonos Speakers after installing a TP-Link Deco P9 Mesh system

• 5 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi

There’s a few other questions over mesh & router & password changes but not sure I really understand them or maybe don’t fully apply to my situation.

I have: PlayBar with 2 Play1s, Play3, Play5, another Play1. Gen1 system (getting on for 10 yrs old now)   with a Sonos Bridge.

All was fine (mostly) using the existing WiFi via a PlusNet router (possible a HobOne?).

As I live in an old stone house with 3ft thick walls all over the place I struggle with WiFi in the house so I’ve invested in a TP-Link Deco P9 system (these units use a Powerline method for connecting the various stations). The house coverage is now much more stable and even, which is good. BUT… I now can’t get any of the Sonos speakers to work on the new mesh system. I’ve tried all the app suggests, repowering first and then I connect a Play3 to the router as another option suggested. Nothing seems to find the speaker. Any ideas on how I can fix this please?

The original WiFi is still up and running (at the moment but I intend to switch it off as recommended to reduce any interference) and if I switch my phone or Mac to that SSID then I can get the speakers work normally. I could just leave the old SSID running but it’s somewhat inconvenient and annoying to keep switching between the 2 SSIDs just to control the Sonos speakers.

Any suggestions on moving them to the mesh SSID please? Is it the Bridge causing issues here? I understand that the Bridge is not 100% needed? Just had a thought - should I connect the Bridge to the first mesh station which is currently connected to the PlusNet router (the TP-Link stations have an RJ45 on each unit…

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 December 2023, 15:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Have you read the new router - installation instructions FAQ? It covers most, if not all of your questions. 

The Deco primary node will contain a router by default. This breaks the network into two subnets. Sonos controllers and players need to be on the subnet.

Either set the Deco in access point mode https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Or wire the Bridge to a LAN port on the Deco primary.

Bridge is now deprecated. You might wish to consider getting rid of it. https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/remove-a-bridge-from-your-sonos-system

Thanks for pointers guys.

Got in all sorts of mess trying to remove the bridge via the settings option (I’m on S1 system still) and the working units disappeared, re-powered and they finally came back.

In the end I switched the main Deco P9 into AP mode as suggested and then managed to re-connect the units to the Deco network and then used the Settings/System/Network/Wireless option to move to WiFi. It then told me to remove the Bridge. This seemed to work (after some units vanished but came back) - not entirely sure of exactly did in the end but the Bridge is disconnected and all units are working…!!

Got Play5 to bring back to life at some point but it won’t be S2 compatible by what I’ve read so if I use it I’ll need to stay on S1. If I don’t use it I can move to S2 (Mac 10.12.6) I think, app would let me…

I have the TPLink Archer AX90 plus 5 other mesh extenders. Yup 5!!! Thinking the issue why my Sonos was bouncing in and out was due to insufficient coverage. Then after trying every possible recommendation out there, I discovered the Advance Wireless setting that allowed me to change the 2.4GHz bands from b/g/n/ax to just b/g/n after setting the channel to auto, the band to only use 20MHz didn’t help.