line in

• 25 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I have turntable plugged into a sonos 5 via rca. Works fine. Buy another 5. Set up a stereo pair. Line in only plays out of one speaker. Will sy both if grouped but not in stereo pair. Experimenting while playing and it will play out of the 1 not plugged in but only ever recognises 1 speaker as connected. What do I do next?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Try setting the Audio Delay to Max under the line-in settings. If this doesn’t work, try this:

Separate the stereo pair. Unplug both speakers. Swap the speakers (left speaker is now the right speaker, right speaker is now the left speaker). Plug them back in and create a stereo pair. Test again.

Make sure that the 3.5mm plug is fully seated in FIVE’s input jack.

I have two Sonos ‘Fives’ setup in a stereo pair and the line-in plays fine for me on both speakers. My first thoughts are to change the line-in RCA cable and to make sure the adapter is pushed firmly into the port on your speaker.

Also consider trying the line-in audio source connected to the other speaker in the stereo pair.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

As the others have said, it should work fine with the turntable just plugged into 1 of the Fives, and should then play through them both in stereo.

Try unpairing them, unplug them and plug them back in, pair them again and re-connect the RCA cable into one of them. See if that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions. They work on stereo withal other services. I have bought a new RCA to 3.5. Seems fully seated. Done everything suggested above but as soon as I try the turntable with the speakers paired on stereo I hear half  sound as you would if you unplugged a traditional speaker while the other just buzzes. I have swapped them over. Swapped over the line on but to no avail. Everything is working fine until I play the turntable in stereo so it must be a setting something for the line in to ignore that 2 speakers are paired in stereo but to still treat the one working as half a stereo sound!!

Userlevel 7

@Timsharp14 Another setting to try in the Sonos app is setting the Audio Compression to Compressed.

What model turntable do you have? Have you double checked all of the connections on the turntable? Do you mind posting photos of all of the connections on the back of the turntable all the way to the 3.5mm plug connected to the Five?

The “just buzzing” indicates a problem at the turntable end of the connection. Make sure that the wires are fully seated. You could swap left and right at the turntable output as a test.

@Timsharp14,

Do you perhaps have another audio source that you can connect to the speaker(s) line-in …a mobile phone/tablet/mp3 or CD player etc. just to see if the problem continues with a different hardware source?

Guys thanks for your input. Absolutely right the rca plugs seemed secure in the turntables but a bit of twiddling and everything burst into life! 

Thanks for taking the time. Happy listening!