Answered

Issues with Sonos Five

I recently purchased 10 Sonos Five, 10 Sonos Subs, one Port, and one Boost to configure as a multi-room setup and PA system. However, I am encountering connection errors whenever I try to group all the speakers or play audio through them. I often need to try 2-3 times before I can successfully connect all the speakers. Additionally, when trying to change tracks through the Sonos app, it takes a while to update or sometimes doesn't change at all, requiring me to try again later. I have connected the Port, Boost, and one Five speaker directly to the LAN. Changing track thru Spotify app is smooth. Can you please assist me in fixing this issue?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 May 2023, 09:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Not sure what we’re really fixing here. Sonos is particularly unsuited for PA use due to the 75ms delay on the line in.

In general, with the devices you have, I’d have the BOOST directly wired to the router with an Ethernet cable. Then I’d look in the Sonos controller and make sure the SonosNet channel in use was not the same, or even overlapping with your normal Wi-Fi channel. That means one should be on 1, 6, or 11, and the other on one of the other two channels. I’d be reading the wifi interference FAQ to ensure that there were no internal, or external interference sources to the setup, sources of potential interference. I have had trouble in the past where a neighbor set up a new router that stomped all over my SonosNet channel, took a bit to figure that out. 

Finally, each of the Subs would be bonded to a single ‘room’ in the setup, being aware that they don’t connect via SonosNet, but instead a signal generated by the device that they are ‘bonded’ to. 

The key thing is all Sonos devices, including the controller, need to be on the same LAN subnet. Some mesh systems split the subnet. If you continue to have issues, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of recreating this ’unable to connect’ problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Spotify seems to play OK. What is the source when you are having trouble?

SONOS support has access to system data that we don’t have here, but there is one resource that might help. First go to Settings —> System —> About My System and note the IP address of a player, then go to http://address:1400/support/review and click on the Network Matrix at the bottom. Red cells indicate potential issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

When you try grouping first select one of the Wired Sonos devices, then add the others to it. That makes the wired device the coordinator and cuts down on the wireless traffic needed.

I tried everything mentioned above, changing sonosnet channel, connecting one or two speakers at a time but to no avail. May I connect all speakers directly to switch to resolve it? Please share your thoughts. 

I highly recommend wiring as many units as is possible. 

I highly recommend wiring as many units as is possible. 

Sir, how do you recommend wiring them? directly from switch or near by APs or either is fine?

When you try grouping first select one of the Wired Sonos devices, then add the others to it. That makes the wired device the coordinator and cuts down on the wireless traffic needed.

I tried this as well. In this method I have to try twice to get the speaker connected. But as I have 10 speakers to group, it is quite a lengthy process to group all. 

Wire the units to a network switch. “Unmanaged Switch” is the least hassle. A “managed switch” usually requires some configuration. I don’t recommend wiring to a mesh point because some mesh points fuss with things in a way that totally flusters SONOS.

Building the Group will be the same with or without the network switch. Try the “Everywhere” button at the top of the Group pop-up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also if you open a Sonos device (best a wired one) in the room menu you’ll see a tiny + on a circle, tap that and you can create a custom group that can be selected next time you want it.