Skip to main content

Have 16 speakers older and new, have the issues only with older “Sonos 3 and 1” although they are still in the family. Sometimes never know when “Lost signal or no grouping with others” The SONOS 3, one of the pair connected ethernet directly to wifi router 6 ASUS plays fine, another SONOS 3 on wiFI only 3 meters away is often silent, lottery, Should I get rid of them and buy new era speakers ? Sonos 3 has great sound and you don’t give me a choice,  I am Really disapointed not with sound quality but your software upgrades. Before many software upgrades everything was great.

By Sonos 3 and Sonos 1, do you mean the Sonos PLAY:3 and Sonos PLAY:1?

Which OS are you running, S1 or S2? If it were me (and I own both PLAY:3s and PLAY;1s), I’d be running S2, since both speakers are capable.

But that being said, your discussion about not ‘seeing’ speakers suggests a potential duplicate IP address issue, often exposed when there is an update of Sonos’ software, since the speakers reboot as part of the process, and requesting new IP addresses. If your router has lost its way in its DHCP table, it’s easy for Sonos to be handed duplicate IPs.

As a test, try unplugging all of your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos, and see if they all show up. Mind you, this is potentially a temporary ‘fix’, if a router has gotten lost in its DHCP table once, it might again. If this fixes the issue, I’d look in to how to reserve IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router’s software.

However, if it doesn’t fix the issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

As to whether it’s time to upgrade, that’s up to you, your ears, and your pocketbook. It’s certainly not required by Sonos.