Skip to main content
Answered

Issues changing network from wireless to wired

• 28 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi - I’ve been attempting to switch my Sonos system from wireless to a wired setup, but having a hard time getting my Sonos speaker to communicate with my router via ethernet.

My network is this: Soundbar (living room), Play 1 (dining room), Play 1 (studio), One (kitchen), One (bedroom), Beam (upstairs), Sub (upstairs).

I’ve been experiencing random speakers dropping audio for some time now (very frustrating), so I’m attempting to just connect one speaker via ethernet to create a wired network.

The problem is when I plug my speaker (Play:1 in the dining room) into the router, it turns the port light on my router orange and there seems to be no data transmission. Looking at “About My System” it’s still showing up as “WM: 1” so still connecting via wireless.  I know this is a good router port as I can use other devices on this port with no problem. I’ve tried resetting and re-adding the speaker to my network, and was able to successfully re-add it to my wireless network, but still can’t connect via ethernet.

Any advice on a next step would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

OK, after talking to a Sonos tech support rep named Joe I have the solution. My fiber internet comes in through a Gateway that I use as a router. I have the wi-fi disabled on that gateway because I run a more powerful wifi router (ASUS AC-5300). I was plugging the sonos speaker into the gateway, as that is my normal means of distributing ethernet-driven internet. But in this case, the Sonos MUST be plugged into the actual wi-fi router. So I swapped into my Asus router and it seems to be working now. (Thanks Joe!!)