Answered

Issue creating 2 different network on Sonos One (and Sonos One SL)

• 25 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I called Sonos support twice on this and let’s say they wasted my time…

I have 3 Sonos in my home (home wifi network) and 2 others in a Guest House (Access point connected directly with a underground network cable to the home router).   I need my 2 Sonos in the Guest house to connect on the Acccess point and the 3 Sonos in the house to connect on the ‘’home wifi network’’.  I seems that the Sonos App does not allow to connect different groups of product under different network.  I suspect that, since both network are not so far from each others, they are picking up signal one from the other.  

I even tried to creat a second Sonos Account to separate the 2 networks but the App recognize that the speakers are linked to the main account (maybe because of serial number).  And yes I made sure to Factory reset all speakers before I start to configure.

Your ideas are more than welcome!

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 October 2023, 20:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You don’t need a second Sonos account, unless perhaps you want to issue an account password to the guests.

What is it you’re actually trying to achieve? Do you want the guest house speakers to be part of the same system as the main house’s? Do you want to maintain the same SSID (network name) on both the guest access point and the main WiFi?

Sonos units will connect to the best WiFi signal that they can understand, so guest units should connect to their local access point. 

I want the Sonos in guest house to connect on the accès point under it’s own SSID and the one in the house to connect to home network.  They all want to connect to the guest house one.  Since guest house signal is poor when you’re in the house, connection is unstable. 

Okay but is the guest SSID different from the house one? Make it so, then:

• factory reset the guest house speakers and reset a controller app (to use with the guest system)
  • set up the guest speakers as a ‘new system’
  • ensure that the guest SSID is removed from the main system in the house

This issue is getting really frustrating.  I tried pretty much everything and nothing works.  The account will only allow all 5 speakers on 1 network, either the garage (Access Point under a different network name although hardwire to the house modem) or the house (main WIFI).

I even tried the following : 

• Use one account to setup my 2 speakers in the guest house/garage;
  • Create a new account with a different email to connect the other 3 speakers in the house on the main WIFI.  When setting up, Sonos app recognize (I don’t understand why) that either the speakers on the main WIFI is linked to the original email address and prompt me to connect on this email.  If I do, all speakers sync on the garage/guest house WIFI.

Any other idea is more than welcome.

For one, a Sonos account will allow any number of speakers. There is a maximum of 32 devices in a system, but that’s not an issue here. 

As for setting up a group of speakers as a ‘new system’, temporarily power off the first system entirely. This will prevent the controller ‘helpfully’ trying to add them to the first system. Also, you should use a controller app that’s been reset, and keep that control device separate from control devices used for the first system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you looked at your router’s DHCP server and insured it has enough addresses in the dynamic assignment pool?

I try to have double the number I plan on actually using in my pool just because running out is so aggravating.