Skip to main content
Answered

I won a Sonos Play-5

I won a Sonos Play-5 at an event at an electronics store. It is new in the box. I listed it on a local marketplace, thinking it was a Play-5 1 due to the picture on the box. A guy wants to buy it and asked me for the serial number, which I gave him. I believe he thinks it is a later model. The serial number begins with 1504. Is this a Generation 1? He told me he bought a Gen 1 from someone else and it did not mesh with the system he has. I don’t know anything about these speakers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

This unit will operate on S1 or S2. While still in the box, unused, “new” is a slight misnomer.

So is it a Gen 1 or 2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could post a picture……

Gen 1. That's been sitting around for a while, they haven’t manufactured any like that for years and years. It will run S1, and not S2. It will work with a BRIDGE, but I’d just hang it off the Wi-Fi, and skip using a BRIDGE. Or directly wire it to the router….

And I’d be careful about handing out serial numbers, he could just be trying to use it for the 30% upgrade….

Oh, for what it’s worth, 1504 means it was manufactured in April of 2015. A while ago. 

Thank you!

The picture is a Gen 1 unit, but the date code is Gen 2. 

What does that mean about the date code? I called Sonos tech support a couple hours ago and gave them the serial number. They said it was a gen 1.

Anyway, the potential buyer was looking for a gen 2.

Evidently there is some date code/version ambiguity for early 2015 production.

The Play 5 (Gen 1) will only work on the S1 Controller App. Click this link for Sonos S1/S2 product compatibility. Let your buyer know that the Play 5 is a Gen1 and then provide him with the link so he can make an informed buying decision.