Answered

i moved and cant get my speaker to work

• 8 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello, I moved and am trying to setup my SL, it will not connect and keeps showing an error message. I have already tried: resetting to factory mode, restarted my SONOS app, unplugged and plugged back in and turned my wifi off and on. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 April 2024, 02:51

View original

6 replies

Factory reset was a mistake, you’ve erased all data that was on it. You’ll need to set it up as completely new, and I would recommend temporarily connecting it to your router with an Ethernet cable. Once it is set up, you can remove that cable and move the One SL wherever you want, within WiFi range. 

Factory reset was a mistake, you’ve erased all data that was on it. You’ll need to set it up as completely new, and I would recommend temporarily connecting it to your router with an Ethernet cable. Once it is set up, you can remove that cable and move the One SL wherever you want, within WiFi range. 

Ya, unfortunately I realized that after I read another persons questions. The SONOS support page literally told me to factory reset it so they should definitely take that off of there :) thank you!

Which support page suggests you do a factory reset? 

I should’ve screen shot it, my app suggested it. 

Hmmm. Would love to annoy the folks at Sonos to change that, there really isn’t a good reason to do a factory reset in 99.9% of cases. We in this community recommend not doing it at all, unless directed by a Sonos employee, as it most often obfuscates, rather than fixes any problems. 

I should’ve screen shot it, my app suggested it. 

Can’t say I’ve ever seen that in the Sonos App (…or mentioned elsewhere🤔?) Anyhow, if the device is your one and only Sonos product and its status LED is flashing green, post-reset, you will also need to reset your Sonos App (or remove/reinstall it, if you prefer) and follow the steps for a "new system’ setup.

Do not choose an ‘existing’ system setup, because you no longer have one, that’s if you are sure you have factory reset your one and only product. 

If things still do not work for you after trying those steps, then perhaps try temporarily wiring the device to the local router to help to get it setup on your new network, but you will then need to go through some further steps afterwards to switch the speaker over from ‘wired’ to ‘wireless’ mode, as explained in this Sonos Support Link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup