I cannot link to my Sonos Account

• 18 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I recently upgraded and bought various speakers including ERA 300s, ERA 100s, ARC, Sub Woofer and an existing One.

I thought I would set up one of the ERA 300s  first and which I got working then I had problems with my router which is a Huawei Model H112-370, this is a 5G router which I use as my phone line based internet is very slow.   Due to the problems with the 5G Router I swapped it for another 5G router which was sent to me my 5G internet provider 3 mobile.   The new router is a Huawei MC801A 5G router.  I also set up a new Sonos account to keep completely separate from my Sonos Gen 1 equipment.   I got it all working then it failed so after speaking with Sonos Support, I decided to start from the beginning.   After a few support calls I am getting fed up as I have not been able use my Sonos equipment for over a week as I cannot get it set up.  

It seems that the app carries out the whole process and it falls at the final hurdle of linking to my Sonos account.

I have read similar within this community but no one has come up with a definitive answer.  I have tried numerous factory resets, rebooting my router, resetting my router to factory default and still the best I get is the messages that say it cannot link to my account followed the by the wrench logo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Calling Sonos support is probably the only thing you can do, don’t be shy to ask for an escalation to a higher level support person.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @David16DA 

Thanks for your post!

LTE routers (those that use a SIM card to connect to a mobile/cellular network) are not supported by Sonos, and you have basically found out why. It’s possible that a different LTE router or a SIM card from a different carrier in the same router will yield different results - you could try taking the SIM from your phone temporarily. Once all your speakers have been registered, it’s possible that things will then work better on the current SIM. Maybe.

I hope this helps, and that you find a resolution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @David16DA 

Thanks for your post!

LTE routers (those that use a SIM card to connect to a mobile/cellular network) are not supported by Sonos, and you have basically found out why. It’s possible that a different LTE router or a SIM card from a different carrier in the same router will yield different results - you could try taking the SIM from your phone temporarily. Once all your speakers have been registered, it’s possible that things will then work better on the current SIM. Maybe.

I hope this helps, and that you find a resolution.

Hi Corry P, thank you for your reply.   

The router is locked to the internet service provider and also they router does not allow the DNS settings to be changed which is one suggestion that I have received from another community member.

I have carried out your suggested process but in a slightly different way as I still have my landline based broadband which I was going to cancel.  (The reason that I have the 5G LTE router is because the landline based broadband is slow and unreliable) I have managed to get the speakers registered using the landline based broadband.

Once I have all the Sonos speakers registered then I will then convert them all over to the 5G router again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @David16DA 

Good thinking - that’s actually more likely to work than my suggestion!

I have a new Sonos arc and it can find the system but there is an error linking to my account. I chatted with support for over two hours to no avail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @msiau49 

Do you also have an LTE router (one that uses a SIM card for a cellular network, rather than cable of some kind)?

No, I do not! I have the Eero Mesh system. 

I have in my LR: Playbar, 2-P5s, and Sub.

i have a Beam and 2-S1s in BDRM

In FR: Playbar, 2-S1s. 

purchased the arc, 2-100s, and Mini Sub. 

replacing LR playbar with Arc. I spent 2 hours then chatted with Sonos Support for 2.5 hours to no avail. 

I have done everything: 

reset Sonos, reset Mesh; add delete, etc! Trying one more time before I return Arc. I had Arc hardwired and not hardwired! 

@msiau49 

Is your Eero Mesh primary hub connected to a ‘bridged’ (ISP provided🤔) Router? If so, then ensure that ‘bridged’ router has its WiFi adapters disabled, or better still, place it into modem mode (if supported) and ensure that the primary eero hub is the only network device (Sonos or otherwise) wired to it.

If you are opting to cable a Sonos device to the LAN that supports some of your system to use SonosNet (not personally recommended and not a Sonos Era, or Portable, product) then only wire such a compatible device to the Eero primary hub, or a switch off that hub, only - do not wire a Sonos device to any of the eero satellite hubs.

Any wired Sonos device should be at least one metre away from the Eero primary hub, or other access point. It should also not be a Home Theatre Surround Speaker, or Sub.

If the Eero Mesh hubs however, are ‘bridged’ themselves to your (ISP provided) router as wired/wireless access points, then you need to change the above mentioned setup, so that any wired Sonos device is linked to the main router instead of the primary eero hub, either directly, or indirectly via a switch.

Again though, leave the ISP provided routers own WiFi adapters switched off and just use the Eero WiFi with the routers DHCP server. Also ensure there is only one such server on the LAN subnet.

Once you are sure you have things setup correctly, then try the Sonos setup agaiin, in each case ensuring the mobile controller device is connected to the Eero WiFi. 

You may also find this earlier Sonos support thread helpful…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

I have Fiber optics so my line is directly connected to the Eero Pro as it serves as a Router (no need for modem) second line connect to Ethernet hub connecting all rooms with a hot line. Each room has a separate Eero-also connected to Ethernet hub. All Sonos products are connected to hub-bother placard and beam. All others wifi! 

I tried hooking up the Arc hot wired and wireless. The app sees the Arc but then it tries to link to my account and it can’t. All other Sonos products ( w/exceptions of ones I just purchased) have worked great for 4 years! Still do!

Hope this helps! I’m at a loss! 
Michelle

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @msiau49 

Can you please confirm that you tried the steps provided to you by my colleague Gabriel in his email to you? Perhaps you didn’t see the email?

1. 2.4 Ghz enabled and 5ghz enabled
2. Make sure Mode is set to 802.11 BGN
3. Client isolation should be off to ensure wifi devices can communicate with each other.
4. Select a manual wifi channel, do not set to auto (recommended channels are: 1-6-11)
5. MultiCast enabled
6. Security type should be WPA2 with AES Encryption (Wifi protected by password)
7. Enable UPNP
8. IGMP Snooping enabled
9. Airtime Fairness disabled
10. Change the DNS -> Primary 8.8.8.8  and Secondary 8.8.4.4
11. Guest network disabled

My initial thought was step 10 - the change of DNS. If you’ve already tried this, please let me know.

If you haven’t done so already, please also try rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. If you change the DNS, please reboot the router afterwards.

I hope this helps.