Question

How to set up Sonos without WiFi or Bluetooth

• 7 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

I moved my Sonos speakers to an area where there is no wifi. The speakers are V1 so they do not have bluetooth. I want to use the speakers via ethernet cables (wired). I can’t figure out how since the App requires wifi and bluetooth. If I say I don’t have either, I get kicked out of the install process. Is there a way to get these speakers to work in this environment?

Thank you,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @noshare 

Just out of curiosity...what are V1 speakers

As Wi-Fi is generated by a router that either you or your ISP provide there is no such thing as being in an area with “no” Wi-Fi.

There are areas where you may not have internet access but even that can be achieved with a cell phone and travel router. 

Sonos requires an internet connection during setup using an iOS or Android device typically a cell phone or tablet. You need a router to generate a Wi-Fi signal but that is not dependent upon having an internet connection. Without an internet connection (after setup) you just won’t receive any updates. 

Bluetooth is only used during setup and every iOS or Android device used for setup has Bluetooth. Futhermore if you are using Sonos products such as a Play:1, Play:3 or Play 5 Bluetooth is not incorporated for those speakers. BTW the Bluetooth being used is Bluetooth LE which is not the same as the Bluetooth used to connect devices to send and/or receive music files.

I don’t know where you live but I suggest you read the information in the link below on setting up Sonos; as well as enlisting the help of someone with technical knowledge.  Good luck to setup your Sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2627?language=en_US

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Maybe this is about Sonos One (Gen1), where the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 is bluetooth. By “an area where there is no wifi”, do you mean a part of your home without wifi coverage? If you have the Sonos speakers connected to a router by cable, your phone should be connected to the same router via wifi - which could present a problem. Can you connect the phone to the router via wifi in another part of your home? Then it should find your speakers, especially if they’ve been connected before and you’ve reset them.

Having no wifi coverage in the part of your home where the speakers are wil still present problems commanding them when you do get them to work. Maybe you could also connect a PC via cable in this part of your home? This cannot be used to set up a system, but day-to-day management can be don from it.