How to reduce bass on Sonos Move when connecting via bluetooth?

• 31 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Why can’t I reduce the bass when connected via Bluetooth? I don’t have wi-fi at home and am really stuck with terrible sounding bass-heavy sound? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The level of bass in Bluetooth mode should be adjustable via whatever app you are using to play to Bluetooth. Bluetooth mode means the speaker is just a dumb speaker, all control is via whatever app you are using.

What’s the difference between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in this regard? Does music played over Wi-Fi go through the Sonos app but Bluetooth doesn’t?

On wifi, Sonos is a smart speaker.  The Sonos app is a controller, but all the smarts are in the speaker.  The speaker gets the stream directly through the source.  You can also group, change the volume or tone, etc.  In Bluetooth mode, the speaker plays whatever is playing on the phone or tablet.

As of my last update in September 2021, Sonos does not provide a direct option to adjust bass levels specifically for the Sonos Move when using it in Bluetooth mode. When connected via Bluetooth, the Sonos Move functions as a standard Bluetooth speaker, and any adjustments to sound settings need to be done on the Bluetooth source device itself.

Here are some general steps you can take on your Bluetooth source device to potentially reduce the bass when using the Sonos Move:

1. Equalizer Settings: Check if your Bluetooth source device (such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer) has an equalizer feature. Some devices have built-in equalizers that allow you to adjust the sound levels, including bass and treble. Look for an "Equalizer" or "Sound Settings" option in your device's settings or audio playback app.

2. Lower Bass Settings: If an equalizer is available, reduce the bass levels to your preferred setting. Drag the bass slider or adjust the bass settings to a lower level. This will vary depending on your device's interface and software…..………….

This gap between WiFi and Bluetooth is not trivial, not is it called out in the description for the Move speaker on the site. There’s even a “Compare WiFi and Bluetooth” button which opens a comparison sheet… where this gap is not mentioned. Pointing out this fact would have influenced my decision when considering what to purchase. Why omit this critical information?

The default bass on this speaker is at an intensity that’s inappropriate for an apartment building (or even an outdoor event, assuming there’s no WiFI outdoors, as is commonly the case).

The fact that there’s no way to change this without being on WiFi AND it’s hidden from the product description are both frustrating and hurt my trust in the Sonos brand. I bought this speaker based on a friend’s recommendation, and can say that I won’t be recommending this to other people.

@jameshatt iPhones don’t have EQ settings for YouTube premium, which is where I stream my audio