How to make sonos one work with Starlink

How I can connect sonos one gen2 to a starlink wifi network without the adaptor??

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Earlier threads indicate this is not possible. Search for “starlink”.

Disappointing...I'm selling the system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not use the adaptor (that, if memory serves me well, provides extra ports for the router)? 

I did that..I also talked to Support and they advised it isn't compatible. 

I don’t know about that. My friend’s Sonos system is working off of his StarLink router, there’s no additional router involved. All his Sonos devices are connected to the Wi-Fi signal, it’s not a ‘wired’ system. But there’s no adaptor involved, either. 

Given Bruce's comments, there is probably some setting on the router that is preventing communication between app and speaker.

If you can't make that work then there have been several users on here who have used the Starlink purely as a modem and linked it to another router to provide the WiFi Lan.

I spoken to support and tried to connect via the ethernet cable. Support says they are not compatible. Your "friend" likely uses a separate router. 

I’m at my ‘friends’ house right now. All of his various Sonos hang directly off of his StarLink router, and I’ve confirmed that there is zero opportunity to wire directly to the StarLink router, as there is no Ethernet port. When I added (many moons ago) a Sonos One to his existing system, as well as a Sonos Roam a few weeks ago, I had zero issues. 

He has asked me to look in to setting up reserved IP addresses, however I’m not certain that is possible on StarLink’s interface….or my Google searches so far have been failures.

For what it’s worth, CenturyLink, who I am trying to get set up at my house, has been an utter fail so far. Quite possibly the worst internet provider ever, but I do digress. 

Interesting he was able to connect but so many other were unable - including support. One person bought  dual band router and seemed to have success. 

Have the same issue as everyone else - switched from a crappy satellite internet provider (HughesNet) to Starlink because of cost/service and now my Sonos doesn’t connect to Starlink.  I am still running Sonos on my old wifi address with no internet, but I have to toggle back and forth on my device if I want to get internet and have to pause music.  I purchased the Starlink Ethernet adapter and have two questions:

• can I hook my Sonos Boost directly into the Starlink router with the ethernet adapter and will that solve the problem?
  • if I can’t do that, if I hook my old modem into the Starlink router will it operate as the same wifi name as my Starlink for internet or will I still be toggling back and forth?

Thanks.

Nick

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Using your old router might work but you’d need all your Sonos linked to it as well as any Controllers and your Music Library.

Make sure it is on a different channel than your Starlink and they are at least 3 feet apart.

Thanks.  I plugged the Boost directly into the ethernet connector and so far everything seems to be working.  I have 2 pairs of SL1’s, 2 amps with wired speakers, and the Boost on the system.  Everything is recognized and playing music fine.

Badge

Have just installed Starlink with the Gen2 router and extra ethernet connector plug, which has improved my broadband 10-20x, however have lost wifi connection to my Sonos 1 and cannot seem to configure even via the direct ethernet cable - have done all the Sonos reconfigs. as suggested but no connection yet!

Any ideas??

Running short if ideas - John

Hi,  I have bought that adaptor from Starlink, to connect to my boats router.  Everything is working now, EXCEPT, I could not connect all the Sonos speakers.  Only the speaker on the main saloon could be connected.

If I am to get a prepaid simcard and install it on the  router, everything, including all the sonos speakers works.

What can be the problem here?