Answered

How to make feature request?

• 7 March 2023
  • 7 replies

How do I make a feature request? Is there somewhere people vote on feature requests? I realllllllly want to be able to listen to podcasts and audio books faster. throughout the house. I’m listening to half as many books. This is one of the main reasons I got the Sonos speakers. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 March 2023, 10:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is a request for your audio book provider, not for Sonos.

Actually, I think it’s a valid Sonos request. To my knowledge, and it’s been quite a while since I looked, Sonos doesn’t offer this as a feature in their API. So the provider can’t actually exercise it, since it doesn’t exist.  Of course, updating the API for hundreds of service providers could be a substantial concern, although if it was only an incremental upgrade for that one feature, it could be backwards compatible, and only those who were interested in that feature could use it…. But then I’m making all sorts of assumptions about software interoperability here. I’m neither a coder by nature, nor am I familiar with the actual API interaction. 

It’s been requested multiple times, I’ll grant you. So far, it doesn’t seem to be implemented. 

Actually, I think it’s a valid Sonos request. To my knowledge, and it’s been quite a while since I looked, Sonos doesn’t offer this as a feature in their API. So the provider can’t actually exercise it, since it doesn’t exist.  Of course, updating the API for hundreds of service providers could be a substantial concern, although if it was only an incremental upgrade for that one feature, it could be backwards compatible, and only those who were interested in that feature could use it…. But then I’m making all sorts of assumptions about software interoperability here. I’m neither a coder by nature, nor am I familiar with the actual API interaction. 

It’s been requested multiple times, I’ll grant you. So far, it doesn’t seem to be implemented. 

You are correct in that that is one way to implement such a feature.  However, the service could surely offer a version of the audio track at double speed for example. That would be a less flexibly solution, but shouldn’t have an impact on reliability. 

I suppose that’s possible, sure. A lot of extra work on the streaming company’s side.

You’d need to re-do the file in the compressed format(s), then list them all separately for access, and push them to the servers (storage implications), etc. A lot of extra effort for something they already do in their own software, but can’t do with Sonos.

I support the original poster’s request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was indeed thinking of @melvimbe ’s way of implementing this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @User8190 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! Consider your feature request made!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just tried this and it works – AirPlay (or stream) from your device to Sonos. In Audible, I selected devices and chose one of my speakers and zippity-do-da was listening to the book thru Sonos. 🤓