Answered

How high volume is safe and does it have a limit?

• 4 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi!

After a year with the sonos beam i finally got a sub gen 3, love it so far but after reading i see they recommend the arc with sub. 

My question is how loud could i try this without get distortion or risk of damaging the speakers, the tv sound dosnt show sound level but only a plus and minus when i turn the sound up and down.

Wonder if the system is set with a factory limit, that protect the speakers so one really cant play too loud? Example lets say the kids is home and decide to go all out with it, if they could turn it too high or isnt it possible? 

Best Regards Pieter :-)

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 4 January 2023, 17:40

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7

I would worry less about damaging the speakers and more about damaging your hearing.

You can manually set a volume limit on the Arc by following the instructions in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/setting-a-volume-limit-on-sonos-products

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Since all Sonos “speakers” are a combined amp-and-speaker unit (or even amps-and-speakers, to be accurate) the design should prevent any over-driving of components. That said, too long at full volume may hurt your ears or your relationship with neighbours. 

Thanks for the replies :-) A limit is a good feature for sure. Will use it and see how it is.

Amp and speakers combined should prevent over drive nice to know! :)

Since all Sonos “speakers” are a combined amp-and-speaker unit (or even amps-and-speakers, to be accurate) the design should prevent any over-driving of components. 

Well, it should, but turning up my Play 5 Gen 1 killed the mid-range amps.