Answered

Help with figuring out bluetooth delay issue

• 1 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all!

I recently moved an Era100 to another room to use it as a computer speaker and I am running into a strange scenario:

• If a connect through bluetooth from my mac there’s no delay

• If I connect through Bluetooth from my PC, there is a noticeable delay.

• The interesting thing is that I also have a Muso QB. If I connect through bluetooth to it from the same PC, I don’t experience any delay.

I am not a 100% sure why there’s only delay on the Era 100 and not both of the speakers

Anyone had a similar scenario and was able to sort it out?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 September 2023, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Zlaten 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

• If a connect through bluetooth from my mac there’s no delay

• If I connect through Bluetooth from my PC, there is a noticeable delay.

• The interesting thing is that I also have a Muso QB. If I connect through bluetooth to it from the same PC, I don’t experience any delay.

I am not sure I can say much about this. If there is a difference, then it’s likely to be at the source. The third part is not what I’d expect to hear, but perhaps the application takes control and does better than the operating system at getting the audio out without delay.

I am not a 100% sure why there’s only delay on the Era 100 and not both of the speakers

I don’t understand - both of which speakers? You haven’t mentioned any other speakers. If you are talking about your PC speakers, that is expected - whenever Sonos receives an input from an external source (excepting HDMI), we know it’s a possibility that the user may want it to be played in other rooms too, so we buffer at least 75ms of music so there’s time to transmit it across the network in time for it to be played in sync in other rooms. There is no way to disable this.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P,

Thanks for your reply. I probably didn’t explain myself properly.

I do have two different speakers in the room the Era 100, and a Muso Qb (around 6 years old).

When I connect with blueetooth from my PC, the Muso Qb doesn’t have any delay, but the Sonos Era 100 does.

When I connect from my mac, there are no delays in the Era 100.

I hope that is more clear.

Thanks,

Zlaten

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Zlaten 

Apologies - I understood Muso Qb to be software rather than another speaker type. Things are indeed clearer now - thank you.

As mentioned above, there is expected to be at least a 75ms delay on inputs - this is so they can be shared in sync to other speakers. The delay will be slightly more with Bluetooth. I can only assume your Mac is accounting for this a little and introducing it’s own delay in the video to sync things up again - I can’t think why else there wouldn’t be an apparent delay.

To be clear, I don’t think you’ll be able to get rid of the delay - it’s there intentionally, and it cannot be disabled.

I hope this helps.

Understood, thanks for the help!