Skip to main content

So I have studiously avoided upgrading from the S2 app (16.1).  My Era 300s and Arc are working just fine etc. so waiting until the Sept release of the ‘New’ App to see if they get everything straightened out in the app.

I have a pair of Play 3s that have been in the closet for a few months (replaced by Era 300s)  and I brought them back out today and tried to use them and the S2 app says they need an upgrade which I am afraid to do cause I think it will mess up the S2 app and put my other working stuff at risk.

Can I do the upgrade the Play 3s are asking for without messing up everything else or is it all one bucket and you have to do it all if you change any of it?

Thanks!

I don’t think you can update them without messing with all the other Sonos.

You could power down all the other Sonos, run the update from a device that you can restore to the old App and then power on your other Sonos and see if all are happy together.

Why are you waiting for the Sept update? The one a couple days ago seems to have several fixes in it that should be an improvement for folks having some of the more severe App issues.

80.07.05 (Android)
80.07.03 (iOS)

Release date: 27/08/2024

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Thanks for your idea about trying the update with some units off line. Hadn't thought of that.

Just going off of the CEO letter from back in June about time frames for when app features would be back.  He indicated that playlists (got a lot of these and do a lot of editing/creation of them) would be back in the Sept/Oct time frame so I decided to keep what I had since it still works etc.

Thanks again.

June was a long time ago, I’d really have expected an updated letter pinned to the top of the forum on at least a monthly basis until things are back to fully functional.

That sounds a little too reasonable but certainly would have been nice. 😉

The published schedule has slipped. I recommend keeping the PLAY:3’s in the closet for a while longer. Don’t update yet. Follow the Community posts, making sure that the features you need are working. When that time comes, I suspect that the PLAY:3’s will work best if they are wired to the network.

I agree with Buzz. Don’t let anything upgrade.  I have a multiple product system that worked perfectly in April and since I upgraded, it is a nightmare.  (Amp x 4 powering Sonance and B&W speakers (outdoor, indoor, guest house, garage) + multiple Five, Arc, Move and Roam products.  I added 2 new Fives and the whole thing went haywire. 

Do whatever you can to maintain current functionality and do not upgrade the app or reboot any hardware.

It’s so sad.  I used to be fanatical about this system and sound.  I bragged and showed it off to my friends with delight.  But they have lost my trust - it’s now embarrassing and extremely annoying; any additional product is just good money after bad.  I won’t spend a dime more on a system where I have to hope that, one day, they will actually be able to make it work.  

@PatrickSpence, I know it’s August, but get off your boat and wake up.  The customer ship is sailing away from you.  In the meantime, happy quarterly calls, where the demand decline will be yours to explain.

Since you are still able to use the 16.1 app your devices very likely don’t have the latest firmware (you have auto-update disabled in Sonos app). If I have understood correctly, if the speakers update with the latest firmware then the 16.1 no longer works. And if all speakers aren’t on same firmware they might not work together as intended.

There isn’t proper queue management yet. Also have issues with playlists with 100+ tracks. If those are important to you, and if you don’t want to take a chance on your network having issues with the new app architecture then do not let the speakers update the firmware. Keep using the 16.1 while it still works.

(If I needed to add a music service I’d use the new app but for the above reasons still mainly use the 16.1 to control music.)

Consensus is clear.  Hang on a bit. 

Thanks!

Just bumped into this on the Verge website. A trello board listing app fixes etc. that Sonos is working on….

https://www.theverge.com/2024/8/29/24231766/sonos-trello-board-fix-busted-app

So been patiently waiting for an update that would be pretty much be “back in business” (i.e. where we were before all this noise with the app begun many months ago) and I wondering if the release today (10/15/2024) is one that most folks would say restores nearly all features etc. that we used to have.

Is it OK to upgrade now and expect most things have been restored or should I continue to wait for a more “complete” version?

Thanks! 

Unless you really need to update why do it? You can see from the release notes there are no new features that you are really going to want.

Today’s (10/15) release seems to be decent for my needs but I have only used a small subset of the features.