grouping 5hz and 2.4 hz

• 22 November 2023
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi all

I’ve had the current set for a while now but recently I’ve experienced more connection issues than ever, despite no changes to my set up.  These are especially bad when grouping pairs of speakers with other ones.

I’m on BT smart Hub 2 and I have to use the BT disks to get wifi around the house.

Although I know these are not recommended , as above, it seems to have got worse recently.

I’ve been digging through my wifi app and can see that some of my products connect using the 5hz band and others on the 2.4hz.

Will that make a difference with the grouping and is it possible to make them all use the same?; I’ve read on here that 2.4 is better at reducing interference.

Many thanks in advance

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

On the first point - the intent was to hard wire the old router to my existing router to effectively create a second SSID.

On the second, thanks - That explains it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

To the IP issue - Nope, just tried to rename it - I used the IP address from the Sonos sytem to identify the player and change it from SONOS ZP to something more meaningful

I managed to rename others

As you might have gathered, I’ve not tried to do anything fancy with anything as it is way outside my sphere of knowledge!

You can totally ignore the names. They’re not used for anything. 

If it’s a case of remembering which IP goes with which MAC, and which device they represent, I just keep a spreadsheet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

You can totally ignore the names. They’re not used for anything. 

If it’s a case of remembering which IP goes with which MAC, and which device they represent, I just keep a spreadsheet.

Yep, but useful for troubleshooting like when one stereo pair connects to one wifi disk and the other one connects to a different one = rubbish connectivity!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Update:

On Friday evening, I swapped to a wired set up.

Generally the system is better and more responsive, both from the phone and desktop apps.  The two problem rooms (with stereo pairs) have been Ok, even when grouped together.

I have still got a problem when grouping the soundbar (and surround speakers) with other rooms.  On investigation, I have noticed that the 2 surround speakers are connected to the hub.  All other speakers are not showing up (as expected given they are now using the Sonosnet)

Is it normal? and/or due to the way the soundbar and surround speakers connect to each other?

Look in Settings/System/About. Apart from the Move which will always show WM:1 everything else should be WM:0. Are they? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yep, everything other than the Move is WM: 0

I guess it’s a quirk of the BT app