Skip to main content

So I have a TV room as my main room with an Arc soundbar and a Left/Right set of speakers.   For music to play across the whole home in Spotify, I have 5 other rooms added in on the app.   I’ve had this setup for years working fine.  But just recently the grouped in rooms keep disappearing one or more times a day.  I’ll have “TV Room + 5” showing in Spotify (the 5 extra amps driving other rooms).  Then awhile later all 5 have been unchecked in the app and Spotify only shows “TV Room”.   Really annoying that my other rooms keep dropping out. 

Also, I have it setup with an Xbox to pickup the sound input from the Xbox vs the music system and for years that’s worked no problem.   About the same time every once in awhile, one or more times a day all of a sudden the sound just stops playing when watching tv on the Xbox and when I look at the app, its back to playing from a music source.

Are these some of the bugs in the new app and are they going to be addressed?

Sonos is making a major effort to reduce the bug count and add missing features in the new app. There is a lot of discussion on this around here as well as the Update note at the top of the forum home page.

You can track progress here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

I do have the current 80.06.03 IOS app. 

I have the same problem which has annoyed me ever since I purchased the system. The only answer is to get another system. It’s a Sonos problem 

I’ve got thousands of dollars in Sonos equipment.  I expect them to get their * together.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I have had this issue ever since I purchased it 10 months ago I am so sick of it constantly loosing speaker connection etc on the phone fixing it and now the new app is soo broken and SL speaker and Sub not working 🤬🤬🤬

And son on , and on , and on .......Its just a disaster !!!

Well the latest Sonos app update on Aug 27 didn’t help any.

It is still randomly dropping off rooms from my group.   I have to open the Sonos App, go into the current group and turn back on the main room.   If it was just one of the 5 other rooms in the house that keeps dropping off would be workable but its always the living room that drops off the group and that’s my office.   Its a PITA to keep having to fix the group in the app to get the music playing again.

I haven’t tested the Xbox watching tv yet, but I had to finally turn off my Sonos Arc because watching TV wasn’t possible anymore with how often the Sonos Arc would cut out.  I would have to keep pausing what we were watching, open the app, toggle the TV AutoPlay on/off to get the sound to start again, then it was so bad a few times I had to reboot the Xbox to get it playing sound again.  5 times just watching an hour long show.  I gave up using Sonos and started using the built in tv speaker…..

It is often the statement of ridicule, but have you tried turning your whole system off including the router and turning all the speakers on again, one at a time starting with the router, to see if that makes a difference? I appreciate it has worked great for you for years, but as it’s been a few weeks now since you first posted, is it worth trying this, just in case it sorts things out?

Good point, I haven’t powered down all the amps and restarted them. The router and Arc has been rebooted a few times. I have tried shutting down the sonos app on my phone and running it on the PC that spotify is running on, same behavior.

It might make no difference, but I have needed to restart my Arc twice for a couple of reasons and it sorted my issues straight away. After all these app updates and firmware updates, it might just all need to ‘start again’ on your system. (Maybe also log out of the apps and shut them down again before you boot everything back up, then log back in once all hardware is rebooted.)

Good luck with getting a good result! 

Rebooting everything didn’t help.  I’m starting to think this isn’t a Sonos App issue but sounds like it is in the Arc firmware?   

I have 6 Sonos Amps (S2) and an Arc (with L/R speakers and a Sub).  Each amp drives speakers in different rooms.  The Arc doesn’t run off an amp and is in the living room and is also connected to the Xbox.

I always play music through the house using Spotify and I connect all the Amps together with the Arc so in Spotify it shows as a device like “TV Room + 5” when I have the Arc (which is the tv room) and 5 of the amps checked).  It doesn’t matter either if its an Amp that has X number of devices checked such as “Kitchen + 5” where Kitchen is one of the Amps and the +5 are 4 other amps and the Arc.   The behavior is the same regardless of how they are grouped (and this is not using the Groups feature of the Sonos App as those groups do not show up for Spotify on the network).

The Arc is the device that keeps dropping out sporadically.  And its not any set time, sometimes it’ll last an hour or more, sometimes it’ll drop out 5 minutes after it starts playing.

And it drops out even if the Sonos App isn’t running on my phone.   I have to open the Sonos app and add the Arc back in to get it playing again in the living room.

Is there a place to submit bug reports like this?  I can’t find any contact page info for support other than Sonos’s automated chatbot which is useless and the ceo’s email address.  I’m about to just email this to him.