Skip to main content

Feature request: Add ability to ungroup stereo pair speakers from soundbar without the need to reconfigure Trueplay after regrouping

• 6 April 2023
  • 4 replies

If you would just like to listen to music on stereo pair, the ability to ungroup them from soundbar with a click and then regroup back again when you’re done listening without the need to reconfigure TruePlay would be a nice feature to have. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you would just like to listen to music on stereo pair, the ability to ungroup them from soundbar with a click and then regroup back again when you’re done listening without the need to reconfigure TruePlay would be a nice feature to have. 

In surround configuration, the radios are reconfigured to a one-way dedicated 5 GHz connection from the soundbar to the surrounds.  This requires a series of handshakes to get right, which is why adding surrounds takes a bit of time.  The reverse happens when the surrounds are removed.  So therefore, a quick toggle is not possible.  They could place a hot button that does the add surrounds/remove surrounds at the touch of the button, but that is not going to speed up the actual process, and doesn’t save much from the system menu commands we have today.

An alternative would be allowing one to mute the front device and just play out of the surrounds, which would appear to be easier to do, but I defer to the actual engineers on the practicality of the idea. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In surround configuration, the radios are reconfigured to a one-way dedicated 5 GHz connection from the soundbar to the surrounds.  This requires a series of handshakes to get right, which is why adding surrounds takes a bit of time.  The reverse happens when the surrounds are removed.  So therefore, a quick toggle is not possible.  They could place a hot button that does the add surrounds/remove surrounds at the touch of the button, but that is not going to speed up the actual process, and doesn’t save much from the system menu commands we have today.

An alternative would be allowing one to mute the front device and just play out of the surrounds, which would appear to be easier to do, but I defer to the actual engineers on the practicality of the idea. 

It seems you've missed OPs point. It's not only the speed of the process, it's the trueplay configuration data lost along the way. All they're asking for is a way to retain the trueplay settings upon re-pairing

But that’s more of an “available memory” question, at least in my mind.

And I think the way Sonos works is “lowest common denominator”, i.e. if it can’t happen on speaker X using software Y, then it can’t work on any other speaker also using software Y. 

Now, as to whether there’s enough space to store that data, I don’t know. But then you fall down the rabbit hole of “how many configurations does it need to store”, too. 

I wouldn’t be holding my breath on this. Seems like the effort involved to change the code base would be substantial, not just “oh, add a line to the code” kind of thing. 

It seems you've missed OPs point. It's not only the speed of the process, it's the trueplay configuration data lost along the way. All they're asking for is a way to retain the trueplay settings upon re-pairing

Perhaps you missed the “with a click” portion of the original request?  “With a click” doesn’t translate to “do it exactly like the relatively long process of today, except retaining Trueplay settings” to me.  Though I defer to the OP for clarification.