Skip to main content

Multiple sites on Amazon are selling architectural ceiling speakers for what amount to almost half price.  The app does recognize them as genuine architectural speakers.  How can I verify if these are actually real or not.  Some reviews swear they’re real but sonos wont cover the warranty because they’re not an authorized dealer.  Any suggestions?

Sonos doesn’t ‘make’ the architectural speakers, they are made by a company called Sonance, with a marketing agreement with Sonos. If you’re looking for a way of figuring out if they are ‘real’ or counterfeit, your best bet would be to contact Sonance directly. 

Oops my bad on not being thorough.  So, I know the speakers are made by sonance.  They’re being sold just like they would be at Best Buy or another authorized dealer.  They have the correct numbers, are packaged in a Sonos box, have sonos stamped on them and they are recognized as architectural speakers through the amp on the app.   The price tells me they could be a fake except they are recognized as authentic.  You bring up a good question and that is would the Sonos amp recognize the sonance speaker?  I’ve looked at the sonance speaker and it has a different appearance than the sonos by sonance speaker.  I would think the sonos speaker would have better sound though.  So my question is still how can I verify them as authentic?   

I am no expert on this, by any stretch, but I’ve always assumed the Sonance architectural speakers have some co-designed electronics that has the ability to ‘announce’ themselves in some way to the Sonos Amp. Note that this extra piece of electronics is only installed in the Architectural Speakers, and not every speaker that Sonance makes, or Sonos sells for connecting to the Amp.

I could easily see someone buying them, and having trouble ‘moving’ them, and then lowering the price just to get them out of inventory. But I could also see the opportunity for counterfeiting, just the same as any electronics, which is why, if you feel there’s the opportunity, you should contact Sonance. 

In either case, since these speakers are made by Sonance, and only co-marketed by Sonos, the chance that Sonos would have any way of referring to a list of serial numbers is much less than Sonance themselves.