Skip to main content

Failing in setting up S1 network

I have tried to gather my old Sonos units in our second home with the aim of using the S1 app for those units when we are here.

the Sonos units involved:
• play:5
• play:1
• Bridge

I have the S1 app on my iPhone at version 11.8 which should be the latest.

Play:5:Success, this one is working as expected on the S1 app.

Play:1 was previously in an S2 network, but I have followed the steps to downgrade it to S1 and now it’s blinking green and is ready to connect.

Issue seems to be the app… when click add add product, there’s a pop up saying that the app needs to update and when I accept I only get an error message. After clicking more info I get the error code 1101.

I have tried all the hints related to 1101 but still the same result: can’t add more products.

Bridge: this one doesn’t show at all, but given that the play:5 works it feels as it’s a bit redundant (even if it would feel better to connect since I anyway have it…). I I have also tried to connect the play:1 without having the Bridge involved but it doesn’t seem to help.

Does anyone have any tips?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What device are you running the S1 app on? Sounds like you are doing everything correctly, unless the downgrade of the Play:1 failed (and it still demands the S2 app).

11.8 is the current version for iOS and PC.

I would suggest leaving the Bridge alone until everything else is set. They are old and reliable devices these days.

Thanks - I’m running the S1 app on an iPhone SE  (iOS 16.2)

Also - I think the downgrade went fine, the play:1 doesn’t appear when I start the S2 app :)

Solved: I reinstalled the app and started a new network from scratch. Now both the play:1 and:5 are online. Skipping the Bridge for now 

Unreliable, I think is what was meant about the BRIDGE. I suspect an autocorrect issue. 

They’re commonly known, these days, to have unreliable power supplies, which rather frequently cause odd and difficult to track down issues. You’re much better off without one.

Agree - just hate to have a smart machine and not being able to use it. :)

Both the :1 and :5 connected wirelessly now, so definitely don’t need it