Answered

fading era300 fading issue

• 15 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have just bought a pair of era 300’s and a beam gen2. I have connected my beam with my tv via hdmi earc and then added the pair of era300’s as surround speakers. My problem is that I can now barely hear anything coming from my era300’s when playing Dolby atmos content on Netflix. When playing music directly from Apple Music it does not come up with the Dolby atmos badge and the era300’s keeping fading and coming back for a few seconds. I am on the latest version 15.5 and have all my products connected via wifi. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what might be causing the issue or is there something wrong that I would have some during the setup. 
Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 July 2023, 16:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi.  Are you playing Apple Music through an Apple TV through the TV?  If you are just playing from the Apple Music integration within Sonos then I don’t think spacial music is supported. 

How are you playing Netflix?  Internal app on TV?  Do you have a premium subscription?

Hi John, 

I am playing music from the Apple Music app on my iPhone, when I do that all my speakers work but I don’t think it’s Dolby atmos. I also tried playing music from within the Sonos app, it comes up with the Dolby atmos badge but the sound is mostly coming through my beam. 
I am playing Netflix from the internal tv app and yes I do have premium subscription. 

If you are just playing from the Apple Music integration within Sonos then I don’t think spacial music is supported.
Does that mean that spatial audio is not supported through the Sonos app? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sam5078 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When playing music on Sonos using the Apple Music app on your iPhone you are using AirPlay, and spatial audio is not supported.

Spatial audio from Apple Music is only supported when playback is initiated from within the Sonos app (though you could also play Atmos tracks through the TV).

In addition, there is an option that must be enabled (though it is enabled by default):

Spatial music toggle

With this release, there is a new toggle located in System > [Room Name of Player] > Sound page of the Sonos mobile app. The toggle must be switched on to access Atmos content via Apple Music or Amazon Ultra HD Music, and is switched on by default. This toggle only applies to Atmos audio from music services, and will not impact Atmos audio from a Home Theater source.

This toggle is not available on desktop controllers.

Spatial_audio_toggle.jpeg​​​​​​

Regarding the fading in and out you noticed, and the Netflix issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

A point to keep in mind: When playing spatial audio, such as Atmos, the rear channels are controlled by the content creator and may not be continually active. This can fluster new users who expect to be constantly smacked in the back of their head by surround sounds. A prime example would be a movie scene shot in the outdoors or a city streetscape. The sound could be very realistic with nothing obvious emanating from the rears, yet the scene collapses if the rear speakers are eliminated.