Answered

every 15 mins audio drops for about 6 seconds

• 15 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Recently ive been getting dropped audio during movies, spotify, xm radio, tunein. Prob others but thats all ive been listening to. 

Today i decided to start logging them. Turns out every 15 mins exactly for about 6 seconds each. 

4:23

4:38

4:53

5:08

5:23 ... etc

Cpl weeks ago i shutoff the entire house to restart them all.  Still happening. 

Anyone else having this or know what it is / how to fix it?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 October 2023, 23:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You could be experiencing wifi interference, certainly. Worth reading that FAQ and applying the fixes that may apply in your situation.

If it’s duplicate IP addresses that is your issue, you’re unlikely to have caught it by shutting off the entire house. You’d need to power down all Sonos devices and reboot the router while they are powered down. Doing both at the same time may, depending on boot speed for each device, end up with the same duplicate IPs as before. 

If neither of those work out, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

15 minutes shouldn’t be your router’s DHCP server unless it is set up to very unusual refresh times.

You could look at your router’s DHCP page and check the refresh interval, the default is almost always your best bet unless you are doing a LAN renumbering, even then when done set it back to the default.

If no default is mentioned/offered try 24 hours if your LAN is stable, 8 if it isn’t. Shorter will work but will generate a lot of renewals that you could do without. Too short and things tend to act oddly, I’d hesitate to go under an hour for normal use.

Badge

Thanks Bruce. Ill try restarting in order.  And yes go to support if needed. 

Stanley thx for the ideas. Ill take a look at router config. Equipment and settings have not changed so kinda doubt its that but maybe.  And internet service doesnt stop for that time just sound as far as i can tell.  I suppose i could try pinging 8.8.8.8 next time. 

Sound on movies doesnt skip for 6 seconds btw. Its more like 1/2 second but on same intervals. Movie keeps playing sound stops. The whole living room will stop: playbar and 2 play ones. Not just one part. The playbar is hardwired ethernet so i thought the speakers made a mesh network from there and didnt rely on my wifi. 

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback

Disruptions during movies is unlikely to be Wi-Fi interference, the signal is coming across wires, not a WiFi signal. That’s certainly one of the reasons I suggested a call to Sonos.

Badge

Thanks again Bruce.  I will call them once i get a chance to look through all my router settings.  In all this i realized ive replaced my laptops since last logging into router and i don’t have ethernet port anymore.  HTTPS cert is not up to date so can’t log in via wifi.  So ordered usb to eth adapter.  I’ll call them when i’m setup to answer all their questions.  Otherwise it’ll be waste of time for all.  Good news is fiber has been great for years and no need to deal with it.  Thx again.

Badge

Hello,

I hoped to learn cause before replying but never did and have delayed long enough.

Shutting down devices downstream of fios and restarting from top router down toward APs resolved it for a while (~5 weeks).  It has resurfaced once since then but same restart procedure helped.  Still don’t know what the actual cause is/was.  If i get better info, i’ll share.