Era 300 recently disappeared from Sonos system in app, but still plays from Spotify

• 20 March 2024
  • 3 replies

About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that my Era 300, which is set up in my home office as a single speaker for music, no longer appeared in my app. My other speakers and home theater and Amp were all fine and were still there. I power cycled the 300, and it showed back up in the app, and later that day it was gone again. I thought there must be a network issue, but I was still able to give it voice commands (Alexa and Hey Sonos both) and it would play. It’s also still playable through the Spotify app and Alexa routines with the speaker still work fine. What could be going on here?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your router is failing to pass the SSDP data used to discover/track devices to your phone, most commonly because your Era is on a different wifi frequency to your phone.

Your Era is still on your network (which is why it still can play things and reach out to the cloud for voice control), but the local network connection to your phone specifically is broken.

To verify, change your wifi to be 2.4GHz only, to fix properly either fix the router configuration, or get a better router.

To verify, change your wifi to be 2.4GHz only, to fix properly either fix the router configuration, or get a better router.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi network, the USG being my gateway. If this is the case, I wonder why it just started happening after nearly a year of normal operation, I’ve not made any changes to the network config. I’ll dig into the config and see what I can find. The weird thing is that the speaker does temporarily reappear after a power cycle.

Also odd is that my Arc, Beam, subs, Amp and Ones aren’t having this issue. Does the Era connect differently than the other products?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the reply. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi network, the USG being my gateway. If this is the case, I wonder why it just started happening after nearly a year of normal operation, I’ve not made any changes to the network config. I’ll dig into the config and see what I can find. The weird thing is that the speaker does temporarily reappear after a power cycle.

Also odd is that my Arc, Beam, subs, Amp and Ones aren’t having this issue. Does the Era connect differently than the other products?

After a power cycle, devices likely start on 2.4GHz, then after a bit realize 5GHz is better then switch.

The Arc and Beam, maybe others, can only connect to 2.4GHz, so wont hit this problem.

The fact is only started recently may be due to a firmware update in something, or a new neighbor blasting over your 2.4GHz frequencies which forces your phone to jump to 5GHz, for example. Unless you live off the grid, something is always changing, though not in obvious ways.

Ubiquity gear requires careful configuration to work correctly with Sonos, I hope you have followed the recommendations on the github doc and/or the Uni site for this.