Skip to main content

Era 100 vs play one with beam gen2 and full size sub. Music only.

• 16 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Has anyone done this upgrade and feel that it was worth it? Normally keep the living room at 50 to 70% of volume. How do the era 100 handle low volume compared to the play one? I'm not worried about television which I don't watch.

Living room is the only room sometimes I think the sound is a little bit thin.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Why do you have a Beam if you don’t watch tv? Two speakers set up as a stereo pair will give you a much better soundstage for music. If your play:1’s are set as surrounds, disconnect them and the Sub from the Beam and set them up as a new room with the P:1’s stereo-paired and Sub bonded. Position the P:1’s in front of you in the “listening triangle” and see how that sounds. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That isn't what I asked and plenty of us actually have a preference with the beam also playing music. I don't need maximum volume I need even volume throughout a room. The beam is actually quite good for music especially in combination. I'm not impressed with what I've read about the era 300 specifically for music and speaker response at lower volume matters. It's the same reason I don't have a pair of play fives. Not a matter of money I just don't listen to them that loud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

That isn't what I asked and plenty of us actually have a preference with the beam also playing music. I don't need maximum volume I need even volume throughout a room. The beam is actually quite good for music especially in combination. I'm not impressed with what I've read about the era 300 specifically for music and speaker response at lower volume matters. It's the same reason I don't have a pair of play fives. Not a matter of money I just don't listen to them that loud.

My apologies: on the strength of the information in your first post, I tried to suggest what I thought might be a better  setup of your speakers. Now you’ve given some extra information - wanting even sound volume around the room. I’m not sure though about your comment about the sound being “a bit thin”. I’ll wait and see what others suggest… 

Actually, I just paired my beam 2/sub with the era100 pair. I do watch tv some, but I wanted stronger imaging for music playback. I love this setup, perhaps more than the solo arc/sub setup I have in two other larger rooms. Of course, only the beam/sub are on line for TV.

A sub goes a long way to improving imaging - something people don’t seem to mention much. It’s why I got into subs when I had tower speakers and separate electronics.