Era 100 - low volume on a speker

• 7 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Everyone,

I have one question about a strange situation with my two Era 100.

These one are in stereo mode with a fixed IP addresses on my home network. My Sonos configuration is in 5ghz.

Sometimes not always I have a strange situation, the right one has a low volume that the left one, the right one works but with a volume lower. This situation is not permanent.

Have you an idea about this situation ?

Kind regards to you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Is it lowering its audio, or is it dropping its audio due to buffering issues and problems with its connection/signal strength? Maybe monitor its SNR levels and ensure both Era speakers are operating at/above 45dB signal strength. See this link on where to locate the SNR level in the Sonos App:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Fragments Of

Could be a network connection issue but I recommend contacting Sonos support and sending a diagnosis before. So they can take a look inside. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Schlumpf 

Thank you for your help.

One more thing, I have in total 4 Era 100 : 2 in the living room and 2 in the kitchen.

I have moved the 2 Era 100 of the living room in the kitchen and the problem appears sometimes like informed in my first post. The problem appears in the kitchen.

I go to checked the network.

Kind regards.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths

Thank you for your information.

I am not in my home, I go to checked with your information.

Kind regards Ken.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths 

Hello again Ken,

I have checked the SNR on the speakers : the left one has 57dB and the right one has 55dB.

Kind regards.

@Ken_Griffiths

Hello again Ken,

I have checked the SNR on the speakers : the left one has 57dB and the right one has 55dB.

Kind regards.

I see you mentioned they are in the Kitchen - one common device that can interfere with their signal is a microwave. Do you perhaps have one near to either speaker? I’m wondering if that might perhaps be the reason🤔?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths 

Indeed, I have one microwave but when the problem appears, the microwave is not in function.

Before, I had 2 One SL also in the kitchen and I these one works properly without problems.

I have also in this room, one iRobot in 2.4ghz maybe this one > ?

The problem appears when the iRobot is not in function.

Kind regards.

@Fragments Of,

In that case it maybe best to try to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths 

Thank you for your support.

I have one question, I have one Sonos Boost, maybe If I use this one the problem will be resolved, what do you think ?

Kind regards.

@Ken_Griffiths

Thank you for your support.

I have one question, I have one Sonos Boost, maybe If I use this one the problem will be resolved, what do you think ?

Kind regards.

The Boost is likely not going to be the answer here, because when wired to the router, it creates a SonosNet (wired/wireless) network for your Sonos system and the Era speakers do not use that network, as they are designed to not work with SonosNet. 

You could perhaps try a different 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi channel instead on your router, but you seem to have a decent WiFi connection already to both speakers. If you do try different channels, then for the 2.4Ghz band use only channels 1, 6 or 11, as they are non-overlapping and to help reduce interference set a channel-width of 20Mhz only (if your routers allows that). Just keep an eye on their SNR level and as mentioned earlier, try to keep it at/above 45dB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Fragments Of 

I also think using fix one of the 2,4 GHz channels @Ken_Griffiths listed for your Sonos system could solve the problem. As you mentioned in your entry post it seems until now you just used 5 GHz wifi with your Sonos. So 2,4 GHz would be a nice try.