Skip to main content

Dreadful experience

• 26 July 2024
  • 4 replies

So I have spent HOURS on calls with Sonos support, and with HP Aruba to try to fix issues that were down to a badly tested app?

I’ve even bought a new network to replace Aruba

I’ve lost all my Sonos favourites, and playlists built over many years

My speakers either won’t connect or won’t react to control

The desktop controller app (Mac) is now in an endless update loop

WHAT A MESS! 

And now we get some half baked apology and statements about fixing some issues over THREE MONTHS

What are the best alternatives to Sonos? Where is everyone going to go to?

4 replies

I’m stopping with what I have already - everything is working okay in my own setup. So are you no longer using Aruba - was that at the heart of your issue?

Did you try toggling the option mentioned in this old community thread,or didn’t that work for the multicast discovery of your devices?

Hi Ken,

I’ve put the Aruba network back together this week, as changing solved nothing,

My Aruba is Instant On - in which those controls are not available,

I’m looking at moving to a corporate Aruba network, but in all honesty that is pure madness to make these speakers work. Everything else in the house works absolutely flawlessly on Aruba IO. Lights, gates, IoT, Multiple Apple and Windows devices.

Reading some comments on here I’ve just installed SonoPhone and that seems to be working well at this point, so my misery and hours really have been down to Sonos alone it would appear.

One interesting behaviour I did notice was that for my office, and the kitchen, if I was in the office (and connected to any AP other than the kitchen) I could control the office, but if I was connected to the kitchen AP I could not, and vice versa. Bizarre behaviour of the system (Only Sonos) all other devices could be controlled from any AP.

Hi Ken,

I’ve put the Aruba network back together this week, as changing solved nothing,

My Aruba is Instant On - in which those controls are not available,

I’m looking at moving to a corporate Aruba network, but in all honesty that is pure madness to make these speakers work. Everything else in the house works absolutely flawlessly on Aruba IO. Lights, gates, IoT, Multiple Apple and Windows devices.

Reading some comments on here I’ve just installed SonoPhone and that seems to be working well at this point, so my misery and hours really have been down to Sonos alone it would appear.

One interesting behaviour I did notice was that for my office, and the kitchen, if I was in the office (and connected to any AP other than the kitchen) I could control the office, but if I was connected to the kitchen AP I could not, and vice versa. Bizarre behaviour of the system (Only Sonos) all other devices could be controlled from any AP.

I guess you’ve likely done all you can by speaking to Sonos customer support anyway. Also if your system is working with SonoPhone okay on your network, then it appears the older UPnP method of ‘SSDP multicast device discovery’ is working, but perhaps there’s a problem with ‘mDNS device discovery’ and the way the new Sonos App is now discovering devices. If that was perhaps the issue you were seeing? I’m no expert in this area mind, but it’s perhaps something to maybe explore and check further, even if it means speaking with HP Aruba customer support again too.

I’m not personally familiar with Aruba, but came across this in a search, but I guess this is perhaps for a corporate Aruba network too?…

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.06/HTML/5200-7715/index.html#GUID-EC2B42F4-9B9E-4FA0-9D52-56653168ECE9.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Good afternoon!

Can this help?

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/sonosnet-vs-aruba-wifi-6881027