Answered

connectivity of sonos with a guest network

• 23 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I’ve just tried to install my new Era300, but the system doesnt find it. I’m having a “guest”-wifi network in my appartment from the owner who lives upstairs. I’ve read somewhere that sonos doesn’t work with a guest network. Is that correct? And is there a way to avoid this? Or is the only way to have installed a new network? 
thx for your support

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 23 November 2023, 19:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi 

That is correct Sonos does not work on a guest network. You either have to get access to the owners main network or setup your own. You can use a travel router for initial setup but after that you’ll not be able to stream music from a music service. So your best option is to setup your own network via an ISP.

A travel router will usually work with a public/guest WiFi, for setup and for streaming. It would connect as a single device and provide address translation for client devices on its private subnet.