Answered

connecting problem Five

• 21 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have a Sonos Play 5 and a Sonos Five.  After a change of residence I have a problem with the existing router.  It is a gated community with a fixed internet with wifi.  The router : Hap ac lite.  Very good reception on smartphones and firesticks.  The Play 5 is recognized by the Sonos system, but also lost again in between.  The Five cannot be installed at all, always expecting me to restart the router or to remove the box from the network and/or reset it to the factory settings.  Is the router the problem?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 July 2023, 21:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not sure I understand. Are you saying you don’t have access to the router, and everyone uses the same Wi-Fi signal? Or do you control the router directly? If you do, have you updated the software on it? When connecting the other speaker, are you connecting it to the router with an Ethernet cable?

Perhaps even more importantly, have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Probably, rather than fight the system you could install an inexpensive “travel router” and connect that to your community, then hook your Sonos and controller to it.

Certainly, if you don’t have control/access to that router, @Stanley_4 suggestion is the way I’d be recommending as well. Shared internet is just not a great thing. 

Thanks for your help.

I change the position of the boxes: I put box Five on the place of  box Play5 and that box on the place of box Five in the other room and it works???????

Best regards

Peter

Not sure what a ‘Box Five’ is, but if you’re talking about a Sonos Five versus a Sonos PLAY:5, yes, it would have newer, and better electronics in it, due to the years between the designs.