Answered

Connect Sonos Five Third Generation via Line In

• 10 November 2023
  • 11 replies

Hello. I purchased 2x Sonos Five with Sub mini. I was hoping to be able to use the speakers via 3.5 mm audio jack, but it looks all the jacks that I've tried, do not go in all the way through and as a result I either don't get any sound or ot sounds without the base and other channels. Can someone explain what could be the issue before I return my speakers?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Rawman 11 November 2023, 18:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

You may need to press harder in order to fully seat the 3.5mm plug.

Note that the Line-In is not automatically patched through to the speaker. You must select Line-In from the music source menu.

Thanks @buzz. That would make sense, but I press it as hard as I can and it does not go in. I am afraid if I press too hard, I will break the slot. Both Fives are the same way. I just don't get it. Hm...

Userlevel 7

Thanks @buzz. That would make sense, but I press it as hard as I can and it does not go in. I am afraid if I press too hard, I will break the slot. Both Fives are the same way. I just don't get it. Hm...

Can you post a picture showing the connection? It would seem the jack is not fully inserted.

@Mr. T, here is the picture showing that it's not fully inserted and the type of jack I am using. Please note that it's not going in. How hard should I push is what I am wondering about. Thank you.

Userlevel 7

Can you try pressing it in a little harder?

@Mr. T, yes and I did that. It seems like this is how far it can go. What if I break it?

Userlevel 7

@Mr. T, yes and I did that. It seems like this is how far it can go. What if I break it?

When I insert an aux cable into the Five Line-In, I hold the front of the speaker and push quite hard.

You’re not going to break it by fully inserting it.

@Mr. T thanks for the tips. It just feels like it's not going in. Hm...

Try the other Five? I’m wondering if the socket has something jammed in it?

@Airgetlam, I tried both. I am about to call Sonos support. Will report back shortly.

After multiple tries and failed attempts, I finally managed to push it in completely. I didn't do anything special, just pushed it harder. Weird! Thanks everyone for your replies and trying to help.