Answered

Connect NAD Amplifier C700 directly to Sonos 5 or new Sonos One speaker

• 13 March 2023
  • 4 replies

I would like to use an NAD C700 which has a digital coaxial input and phono input capability to receive my analog vinyl records and to process my CDs with the C700 DAC on board.  From there, I would like to add Sonos speakers to this listening room, and connect the C700 directly to either the Sonos 5 or the new Sonos One for lower bookshelves against a wall that can’t use rear ported speakers so well.  

The aim, is that when I want to listen to CDs, Vinyl or stream higher-end BluOS, can I transfer the sound directly to either of the two Sonos speakers.  I will buy the speakers as a stereo pair for the room.  This would enable streaming what is received to my  Sonos Arc in my living room.  When I want to just listen to Sonos wirelessly without the NAD C700, I can just use the Sonos app to stream Apple Music, Amazon or Sirius XM which works fine.  

Can this be connected this way.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 March 2023, 11:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pepstn 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The product page for the C700 (https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-700/) does not mention it having a line-out connection, so I don’t see how this could work.

Instead, with either two Fives or two of the new Eras (Sonos Ones are not new and do not have Line-In options), you could plug a turntable into one, and a CD-Player into the other, either of which can be played to a stereo pair of speakers, and shared with any other Sonos speakers added at a later date.

Ultimately, Sonos devices are not designed to work in tandem with other multi-room or streaming devices - they can do it all on their own.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry P,  thank you for your reply which is very helpful.  If I get the Sonos 5 speakers as a stereo pair, does it work well for the two speakers if they are horizontal and not vertical.  I can fit my current bookshelves in horizontal form for a den that has a sofa directly opposite built-in bookshelves on the opposite long wall - about 8-9 feet away from sitting position.  The speakers go on either side of a cut-out where a 55” tv is - about 58” across with a little space on either side of the tv.   The speakers would therefore be about 6’½ to 7” apart in the shelves.  Same distance if I use the Sonos ERA 100s instead.  The room has a great acoustic now with just an old Bose Soundtouch 130 Cinemate Soundbar, but not very good stereo separation and no connection to a record player or CD changer (NAD C515).

I’m also looking at surrounds for my living room where I have my main Sonos Arc and subwoofer gen 3.  If I put in the Sonance architectural speakers in the two wall posts facing each other about 12’- 14’ feet apart, but behind the sofa (the two wall posts separate the living room and dining room) will that be an adequate setup for surround speakers?  It would be nice to be able to use them as surrounds with the tv, but when listening, de-couple them simply for stereo listening?  Then recouple them to the living room for surround again - i.e. going back and forth that way.   Is that possible without too much hassle?  

For the best stereo image the stereo speakers should be approximately as far from each other as you are from the speakers. That’s an issue with soundbars in general -- L/R are too close to each other.

In my opinion, surround speakers behind your listening position is the best approach. High end, systems will often have two surround speakers on side walls at the listener distance from the front, and two rear surrounds. (plus some other speakers)

With respect to decoupling the surround speakers from the SONOS soundbar, this can be done, but I think that this will become an unwelcome chore by the end of the day. It’s a multi-step process: remove the surrounds, similar with SUB if you want to transfer SUB, Trueplay if desired. Reverse the process when you want the speakers to be used as surrounds. You’ll need to Trueplay the surround system again, if desired.

Note that FIVE’s cannot be used as front L/R in a surround setup. With respect to FIVE’s vertical or horizontal, there is a difference in the stereo imaging. Some listeners are sensitive to this, some are not, only you know what is “best” (for you).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pepstn 

To add a little to @buzz’s reply, the Fives can sense their orientation and adjust their sound accordingly - as a result, they perform well in either orientation.