Answered

Ceiling Speakers + Arc ?

• 9 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi Team, 

My new flat seems to come with two ceiling speakers (non Sonos/Unidentified Brand). They have a a 4 conductor wire running internally through the walls and currently the wires are clipped i.e.not going into anything. 

Since I already have an arc, can I just buy a Sonos Amp which would work with the 4 conductor wire ? If yes, how can I then make sure the TV which is currently connected to Sonos Arc through the HDMI Arc set up will have it's sound output not just from the Sonos Arc but also the ceiling speakers ? Do I need to connect the amp and arc through LAN for the wireless connectivity ?

Can someone guide me ?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by buzz 9 July 2023, 19:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is your goal to create a surround sound Room?

Have you tested those four wires and proven that they connect to the two speakers?

The Sonos Arc is ‘bonded’ to the Sonos Amp/Surrounds (usually) over a 5Ghz ad-hoc wireless connection. So it’s helpful to have the Amp in the same room as the Arc, or at least not too far away. The Amp is then wired to your ceiling speakers.

When the Amp is used for HT surrounds, the ports on the rear of the Amp, for line-in, Sub etc. are disabled.

Hope that assists.

Is your goal to create a surround sound Room?

Have you tested those four wires and proven that they connect to the two speakers?

I haven't actually tested it yet. Is there a way to test the wires before actually buying the amp ? 

The goal is to create a surround sound room indeed,.primarily because there are ceiling speakers already in place and I have an arc. So trying to figure out how I can make the most of it. 

Currently the 4 conductor wires are clipped so was trying to understand if the amp would be useful and capable to connect to the conductor wire to "activate" the two ceiling speakers and have it play with the arc. 

The Sonos Arc is ‘bonded’ to the Sonos Amp/Surrounds (usually) over a 5Ghz ad-hoc wireless connection. So it’s helpful to have the Amp in the same room as the Arc, or at least not too far away. The Amp is then wired to your ceiling speakers.

When the Amp is used for HT surrounds, the ports on the rear of the Amp, for line-in, Sub etc. are disabled.

Hope that assists.

Hi, thank you for this. Would this mean I cannot have a sub woofer with the whole set up i.e. the max I can have is the arc and the two ceiling speakers ?

You can test the wiring with a flashlight cell. At the instant of connection there will be a “thump”. When the (+) terminal of the speaker is connected to the (+) terminal of the battery, the speaker cone will jump out. It’s important that the +/- connections for both channels match.

Note that this verification of the connections will not predict quality of sound.

SUB will wirelessly connect to ARC.

Hi, thank you for this. Would this mean I cannot have a sub woofer with the whole set up i.e. the max I can have is the arc and the two ceiling speakers ?

You can have a Sonos Sub with the setup… either one Sub-Mini, or two of the larger Sonos Subs (one Sub must be Gen3). - you just can’t use an active 3rd-party Sub with the Amp when it’s bonded to the Arc.

See this link on how to quickly test your speaker/wiring with a battery:

https://www.lifewire.com/quickly-test-speaker-connections-3135135

Also see attached which ‘might’ be helpful too.

Thank you both for your help. I shall revert with my finding!