Answered

Can't find Sonos, can't find Wi-fi, stuck in Catch-22

• 22 March 2023
  • 5 replies

So I’ve had a Sonos One for years, but have recently moved to a new house and with that comes a new router. Now obviously I want to change the wi-fi network on my Sonos One, but I’m stuck in a catch-22 here: 

• Sonos tells me it can’t find wifi
  • I press “Add Network” or whatever it’s called in the app
  • App can’t find Sonos because it’s not on the network (duh) 

I also can’t access any of the settings in the app because the Sonos doesn’t have wifi access. I’ve done a factory reset but to no avail. So no way to fix this from my end I think. Any help? 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 22 March 2023, 11:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try and connect the speaker with a cable to your router and put in the wifi credentials when it is connected. Or change your routers password and SSID to the credentials of your old network.

@106rallye I’ve tried connecting it yesterday with an Ethernet cable but that just cut out the internet, I think the ports are input-only? Is there a way to reverse them? 

Since I already did a factory reset I assume it won’t work anymore if I change the router pass and SSID. 

A factory reset would erase eveything you’d put on the system, so yes, changing the SSID wouldn’t make a difference. You need to treat it as if you’ve just pulled it from the box.

Connecting it with an Ethernet cable to your router (not an extender), and using the ‘add a device’ function in the controller is best, once that’s done, and it is showing up, you can then go back in to the controller and change the network information. After that, you should be able to remove the Ethernet cable. 

@Airgetlam I tried connecting the Ethernet cable to every single port on the router and it worked! It’s too bad that this step is needed though, I don’t understand why you can’t just input your wifi code straight into the device via the controller. But okay, at least it’s up and running! Thanks.  

Because until you attach that Ethernet cable, you’re not able to reach the computer running in the speaker, to tell it the new SSID. Once it ‘knows’ the new data, it can connect to the new Wi-Fi signal.