Skip to main content

I just got a frame TV installed for my mom on tile, and she absolutely loves the look of it without a soundbar. I bought a sub and 2 era 300s for her, and I’m trying to figure out the best setup.

• I’m not able to connect these devices to the TV. What product would I need to make this happen. I saw a few people saying I would need an amp, is that the case? If so, just the sonos amp? What does the amp do?
  • Will it be possible to get output from both the TV and the sonos products (era 300s, sub)?

Thanks ahead of time!

The Eras are not designed to connect directly to the TV. You could get an Audio_in adapter from Sonos but that will give you delayed sound and lip-sync issues.

The Amp is designed to hook to the TV but it can only use the Eras as surrounds or by Grouping with them which will cause a delay in the 300s sound compared to the picture.

A sound bar would be ideal, the Amp with your choice of a pair of passive speakers connected to it would be workable. Then use the 300s as surrounds.

Edit to add your Sub will hook to the Amp as well for some really good TV sound.

Contrary to a mass of users, I’m not much of a Bluetooth fan, but its capabilities are improving. Check if your version of Frame TV support’s Bluetooth. If so, this might be a solution for your mom because there will be a minimum of wires. You’ll only need to fuss with power wires.

Be aware of the audio latency inherent with SONOS, but avoid mentioning this to mom up front because the latency may not be important to her or you may be able to adjust your way out of the latency. I encountered one cable box that had huge latencies and an adjustment. I added 150ms in addition to the 75ms SONOS latency.

Who wants the SUB; you or mom? Females typically don’t need as much bass as males.

When comparing things simply ask which version sounds better. Ask as if you have no idea which sounds better and she could help you decide. Never ask as a statement: “‘A’ sounds better than ‘B’ — doesn’t it?” Only she knows what sounds “best” (to her). Of course this could get complicated if you live there too and her “best” sounds awful to you.