Beam gen1 for music

• 11 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have beam 1 and 2 sonos one’s, with the beam under my tv and the ones on either side. It’s OK for TV watching, but pretty thin for music. Is there any way to substantially improve music for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. I was thinking about adding a era300 to the mix but maybe it would just muddy the sound. From what I’m hearing, the beam 1 doesn’t work with anything and the One’s are basically for surround sound. I’m starting to realize if my main interest is music, I have worked my way into a corner. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Beam gen 1works with everything, except Atmos. Your Sonos Ones, if they’re set up as surrounds, should not be on either side of the Beam, but instead behind you. The Beam already has right, center, and left channels in the single enclosure. If indeed they are set up as surrounds, you should go into the settings for that room, in the surrounds area, and set those speakers to ‘full’ for music, and not ‘ambient’. No need to spend any money at all.

If you prefer to go without surround speakers, un-bond them as surrounds, and set them up as a separate Sonos ‘room’ to play your music in. Still no cost involved.

Or, get another pair of Ones/Era 100s to use as a ‘music’ room separate from your Beam and surrounds (which still should be moved behind your seated position). 

Badge

Thank you for the response. My 100s are currently set up as a stereo pair. I have been thinking I need more speakers to fill out the sound, which I guess is the wrong approach. The room is 15X25’ with a 12’ ceiling, with the TV/beam/one’s in a corner facing the opposite wall. I can’t spread them out because of an awkwardly placed fireplace.  If I were to start from scratch, should I get a pair of ERA300s for music and use the beam and ones for TV?

I might do that, or maybe a pair of Fives for music, although that’s a bit more than $600.

Badge

Food for thought. Thanks for the advice.

For what it’s worth, I have a pair of Fives (or PLAY:5s gen 2) flanking my Arc, for music purposes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

At 15x25 you might consider stereo paring (is it Ones or 100s) and adding a full sized Sub for your music.

Second option, keep the original small speakers for surrounds and as suggested add a pair of Fives.

Maybe best, a pair of 300s and a Sub but that isn’t cheap.

Badge

I meant one’s, not 100’s. I am beginning to realize good sound for your TV doesn’t solve the good music problem. I always had good amps with passive speakers like ADS L810’s and got the same experience you get at a live music venue. I guess if I spend enough, I will get it with powered speakers but not sure I want to throw that much $ at it.