Answered

Audio dropping on wired devices

• 4 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Room 1: a playbar, sub, and 2 x play:1s connected via Ethernet Room 2: a play:3 Ethernet connected. Hallway: a boost connected via ethernet Room 3: a play:3 connected via wifi.

More and more frequently the audio keeps dropping in and out, I put it down to the fact I often group the wired and wi-fi device. However, I was going to run a reel of cable to the other room and while pottering around getting ready, I realised the audio is only dropping out in room 1.

Anyone experience of this?

hoping diagnostics reveal something: 1284470013

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 November 2023, 11:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

@Mr Omneo,

Just to say diagnostic reports are not always looked at by default here in the user-community - if you want to get information from the submission, it’s usually best to contact Sonos Support via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Meanwhile as you’re using SonosNet (wired/wireless), I would set any wired devices at least one metre away from any router/WiFi access point. Check your network cables and any switches, plus set the routers 2.4Ghz band to a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping WiFi channel, either Ch 1, 6, or 11 - and use a channel-width of 20Mhz only. Then in the Sonos App, set the SonosNet channel to a completely different channel.

Also, if you have the WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App network settings, you can remove those as you do not have any Sonos portable products, or Era speakers, so that signal is irrelevant and it will stop your devices hopping between the wireless signals.

After any of the suggested changes are perhaps put in place, I would just reboot your router and speakers too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr Omneo 

Thanks for your post!

Please reboot your Playbar by unplugging it from power for 10 seconds or so. This will be important; please don’t skip.

Once it has rebooted (solid white light or no light, depending on setting), please open the Sonos app and re-enable the Playbar’s WiFi card: Settings » System » TV » Playbar » Enable WiFi.

With that done, please disconnect the ethernet cables going to your Play:1 surrounds and your Sub - these devices are supposed to be connecting to the Playbar via a direct 5GHz link, not via the network at large. As they’ll be in the same room as your Playbar, you shouldn’t have any trouble with them connecting.

If grouping, please choose a room with a ethernet-wired device first, then add other rooms - if you put a wireless room in charge, network traffic routing will be less efficient and you may get dropouts.

Test things, and see how it goes. If the issue persists, please go to Settings » System » Network » Manage Networks » Update Networks and go through the process (choose a device at random when asked) until you see a WiFi suggested, then cancel the process. This is so that when you submit a new support diagnostic and reply here with the number given (please do), I’ll be able to see what channel(s) your WiFi is using. Thanks.

I hope this helps.