Airplay connection issues

• 22 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Cannot get apple airplay to connect with a new sonos 1SL on my M1 Imac 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 December 2022, 17:29

View original

3 replies

Can you use the Sonos controller to connect to your speaker? Essentially, are they working normally, and just failing with AirPlay 2?

There were several early reports of people with M1 Macs having challenges, specifically with AirPlay 2, have you tested with any other device, such as an iPad or iPhone, to see if it’s an Apple issue with the M1 specifically, or with the Sonos?

Have you tried a reboot of your router, your Mac, and the Sonos speaker?

If your able to use the speaker through the Sonos controller in a normal fashion, have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Hi

many thanks for reply, I wanted to extend Sonos to the bedroom and as the iMac is there, I expected to be able to airplay my iTunes to it . I have found the Sonos app for iMac & Downloaded it to the Mac . All our phones & iPads send music to the new speakers but not the mac.

I can play Sonos radio to them from the new mac app so looks like a connection problem of sorts from the mac?

I had contacted support but  I had not added the app to the mac at that time, they have given me a case no so will be in contact with them again.

mike

Since it’s working from usong the controller, it’s most likely an issue with Apple, and Sonos will be unlikely to be able to fix that. You’ll probably want to contact Apple support. I’d be sure to do a couple of things first. 

1. make sure the Mac is updated to the latest version. I’m not at my Mac to check what that is right now, but it’s possible they’ve rolled out a fix already?
  2. Make sure that when you speak to anyone, you inform them of what type of network you have. If, for instance, it’s a mesh network, it’s possible that the Mac is on a different subnet than Sonos is, or any of your other devices, which might cause an issue. I say might, as I’m not as familiar with AirPlay 2 standards as I am with Sonos and SonosNet requirements. And the fact that the Sonos controller is working suggests that this is a bad assumption on my part, but I wanted to raise it. Certainly all Sonos speakers need to be on the same subnet in order to talk to each other, I just don’t know if there’s a similar requirement with an AirPlay 2 signal, or if that gets resolved by the router as ‘the man in the middle’.