Answered

Adding non sonos speakers with a Blutooth transmitter>>>

• 6 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I currently have a Playbar, a Gen 2 Sub and two Play 1’s. I want to add speakers to my front and back porch and Sonos speakers are over 1500.00 EACH SET to do this. That’s over my budget so I’ve read that I might need a Connect or something similar to hook a Bluetooth transmitter to that so I can then connect Bluetooth speakers to them. Is this something that will work and does this sound like a good Audio plan?

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 December 2023, 17:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If you did get a Connect or Port with a Bluetooth transmitter + speakers it would definitely work (Bluetooth range permitting) but wouldn’t play in sync with the rest of your Sonos kit, owing to the inherent transmission Bluetooth delay. 

Thanks so much for the reply. So, do I actually need a Connect since I have the Sonos Playbar? It has 2 Ethernet ports and an optical port. I was thinking I could go direct into the Playbar with the transmitter and use an optical splitter since my Sonos is connected to my TV with the current optical port from the Sonos.

Well the Ethernet ports aren’t relevant but, sure, you could split the optical and feed both the Playbar and a BT transmitter simultaneously. Of course this would only provide TV audio to the BT speakers; you wouldn’t be able to play any of the streaming sources that Sonos handles directly. The optical port on the Playbar is INPUT only. It can’t be an OUTPUT. 

I currently have a Playbar, a Gen 2 Sub and two Play 1’s. I want to add speakers to my front and back porch and Sonos speakers are over 1500.00 EACH SET to do this. That’s over my budget so I’ve read that I might need a Connect or something similar to hook a Bluetooth transmitter to that so I can then connect Bluetooth speakers to them. Is this something that will work and does this sound like a good Audio plan?

I’m not sure where you are getting the $1500 price tag from, are you talking about the Outdoor Set?   You can get the Amp for $700 and use the outdoor speakers of your choice. You can get Move 2 for $450 each or Roam for  $134 each (currently on sale).  If your plan was to just use other branded portable bluetooth speakers with a Connect, then it makes a lot more sense, to just get Sonos portable speakers.

I totally understand. I went on the website and that’s where I got the pricing for mountable outdoor speakers. I need to install them under the soffit. I have two sets of brand new Pyle outdoor speakers that I can use for the front and back porch that’s why I’m trying to add the Bluetooth transmitter and hopefully be up and running.